cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Helical sweep around surface

jyochum67
4-Participant

Helical sweep around surface

Can anyone help me?  I'm trying to create a spiral as shown but I need it to carry on around the radius of the surface and then up to the horizontal surface while still maintaining a constant center to center distance on the spiral.

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If I understand your problem correctly, this can not be solved by only a variable section sweep. The geometry must be created in steps.

In the first example (spiral_03), the distance from center to center is defined by a point along curve pattern and is measured along the main surface. The spiral is defined by curve through points. The points must be selected manually and the option to place the curve on the surface can not be used (too slow and the spiral can only partially be created). Once defined, the main geometry can easily be redefined.

In the second example (spiral_04), the distance form center to center is absolute. The spiral is defined coil by coil. The distance is defined by the intersection of a circular sweep with the geometry. Each coil can easily be created using the copy, paste special option + advanced reference collector. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:jyochum67)

The easiest way would be to create a helical surface with a constant pitch that intersects the surfaces that you show.  You can use a variable section sweep with a vertical spine and trajpar in the section (to get the number of turns) to do this.

Best of luck, and this is the solution please mark it answered.  Thanks!

I don't have any experience with that but I am researching it now.  I've also been trying to post my model started so hopefully someone can use it for an example.  

I haven't been able to find any examples of my situation to go off of.  Can you help based on the .prt file I shared?

I'm seeing a lot where basically the center line path of the axis is curved but nothing where the overall diameter of the spiral changes to transition to the round and eventually to the top, horizontal surface.  I will have several of these parts to do like this so it would be very helpful to have one example as a starting point.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:jyochum67)

That's the tough part.  I don't have time to dig into it now, but it's in my head, so...  Again, without knowing what "pitch" to use, I can't even guess.

Hi,

see https://learningconnector.ptc.com/content/tut-4159/using-trajpar-to-create-spiral-geometry video and investigate uploaded model.

Martin Hanák

If I understand your problem correctly, this can not be solved by only a variable section sweep. The geometry must be created in steps.

In the first example (spiral_03), the distance from center to center is defined by a point along curve pattern and is measured along the main surface. The spiral is defined by curve through points. The points must be selected manually and the option to place the curve on the surface can not be used (too slow and the spiral can only partially be created). Once defined, the main geometry can easily be redefined.

In the second example (spiral_04), the distance form center to center is absolute. The spiral is defined coil by coil. The distance is defined by the intersection of a circular sweep with the geometry. Each coil can easily be created using the copy, paste special option + advanced reference collector. 

jyochum67
4-Participant
(To:PBrulot)

Thanks!  I think this is exactly what I needed and I'm quite impressed.  I was also able to make some fairly significant changes to the spiral diameter and spacing and its very stable.  Thanks again!

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:PBrulot)

since I'm on Creo 4 I couldn't view them.  Can you please post a pic so I can at least see what he wanted?  Kike I stated, I wasn't sure the exact geometry desired from the original wording.  Thx!

Top Tags