cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help modeling a stent

Highlighted
Participant

Help modeling a stent

Hi Folks, im trying to draw a model for a sinusoidal stent on creo to later be used in ANSYS as a part of my final year project in college,(Stent FEA) ive started by drawing the sine wave using an equation in creo, then mirrored this pattern to create a flat wall, im looking now to make the pattern into a cylinder shape before selecting my geometry for the analysis. but im having serious trouble getting the stent to wrap, ive tried a toridal bend but no joy! any one have any ideas or can help? ive attached some files below.

im also looking to have a different material in the core of the stent, but ill take it one step at a time!

Thanks!

EDIT** ive added a second folder (two materials) with a sine wave with two materials, but i cant now get it to pattern into the amount of lines i want.

Mosey

Mechanical / Biomedical Engineering student

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: Help modeling a stent

Hard to open when it is created with the Educational Version of Creo.

Do you have any screen shots of what you are trying to accomplish?

Highlighted

Hey thanks for your response, something along those lines!

Highlighted

Are you looking for something like this?

stent_curve.jpg

Creo is an endless adventure: Always more to learn.
Highlighted

Yea - that helps...

and YES - Creo is an endless adventure... but in a good way!

Highlighted

Hmm... What about something like this - using your same formulation for the structure...  but then used offset coordinate system with a pattern (Z-elevation and rotation) to add in the other structures...  Then just a simple pattern reference of the curve to the CSYS pattern and then the swept geometry as another pattern reference (could be grouped I supposed).

2020-03-02 at 5.46 PM.png

You could then use a Toroidal Blend (you would have to play with the usage of that based on your goals) to position the final geometry in the orientation you want for analysis.

2020-03-02 at 5.51 PM.png

2020-03-02 at 5.52 PM.png

Another thought -- would be to use a "warp" feature - but I don't think it is as controllable... but it opens up some different ways to orient your geometry.

2020-03-02 at 5.56 PM.png

Dave

Highlighted

thats amazing dude thank you so much!

the only thing im not following is the rotation, i have each 'ring' drawn on an offset co-ord system, but how do i rotate them to link up like you have sown?

Capture.PNG

Highlighted

I believe the coordinate system is patterned by offset in the Z direction and rotated around Z by 22.5°

Creo is an endless adventure: Always more to learn.
Highlighted

Yep - z-rotion and translation in the pattern.... I think I used a pattern table to accomplish that... by a simple rotation off axis then back to 0 for the angle.   Put in the right offsets and formulas to get the spacing right for your geometry and you got it.

Highlighted

@moseybyrne

I think toroidal bend will help but in this case it might be failing due to multiple mirrors, try creating waves using curves instead of mirror. I hope that should help. 

Highlighted

I thought so too, but I tried the toroidal bend with just the original part with no mirrors and still didn't work! Thanks tho!
Highlighted

I created the attached model using sweep in Creo2. Is this similar to what you wanted to model?

stent.jpg

Highlighted

Hi Mosey,

What type of stent you exactly want to model. I mean Laser cut or braided stent. Braided stent has lot of complexities as compared to the lase cut. I have made braided stent using creo 4.0

Tags (1)
Announcements