cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Hole pattern - symmetric about center hole in two linear directions

KrisR
1-Newbie

Hole pattern - symmetric about center hole in two linear directions

2.png

Ok...I thought I could do this, but I keep getting two holes in the center.

I've created the center hole and am trying to pattern one to the right, horiz, 100mm, and one to the left, the same distance, in the same command. I can pick the two directions and offset, but keep getting a duplicate hole in the center. Number of members in both directions must be two or I get an error.

I would think this can be done without getting a duplicate hole in the middle, but maybe not? If someone could shed some advise I'd greatly appreciate it!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DalbeerSinghSoh
4-Participant
(To:KrisR)
11 REPLIES 11
Kevin
10-Marble

There are a few things you can do with this. The first for the method you are using is to select the duplicate black dot at the center to remove it from the pattern. The only one that can't be removed is the pattern leader which has a circle around it. Other things you could do although they may not necessarily be what you want are a pattern table, diameter pattern, radial pattern, and pattern by point.

KrisR
1-Newbie
(To:Kevin)

Well, since it's the pattern leader in two directions, I can't select the black dot.

Kevin
10-Marble

There is only one pattern leader which is the one you select to make the pattern. You should be able to select the second one. Another note is that for a direction pattern you are not required to have a dimension specified in the dimension tab. It can make it easier for you to de-select the instance that is overlaid on the pattern leader though.

New Picture.jpgNew Picture (1).jpgNew Picture (2).jpg

Here are so images on what happens with a dimension specified:

New Picture (3).jpgNew Picture (4).jpg

Change the increment back to 0 when finished.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:Kevin)

I believe a pattern table would let you do this.

Yes a table pattern would do it, I also mentioned some others, these were just to show that she should be able to de-select one of the instances at the center if this was the option she was going to stay with. One of the draw backs is if you want to use the pattern count number it will still report 4 holes (2 in each direction).

One of my favorite ways to do this is with the diameter hole pattern (which Kevin mentioned) if I want one dimension across the two holes equidistant from a center point.

Another way might be pattern by points which is new with WF5. I like that one because of the dimensional control it gives.

Thanks!

-Brian

DalbeerSinghSoh
4-Participant

This worked well - thanks!

I cannot see this video. It says I do not have access.  Could you simply paste screen shots of this solution.

Same here..."Access Denied" (another problem is that the solution is over 5 years old)

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:HamsterNL)

Videos are still being uploaded from the old forum.  Apparently it turned in to a manual process.

There is a post where you can look at the "issues list" and also file new issues.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/Community-Issues/Priority-Known-Issues-and-Issues-Tracking/td-p/477672

Top Tags