cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How can I achieve this?

ChuckNorton
1-Newbie

How can I achieve this?

I'm sure the following model is very easy to make, but I'm very new to this, so need some help...

The illustrations you see below is very rough, the best I could draw using extrude and pattern, to give some idea what I want. Apparently you see the bottom should be smooth unlike below, just like the spline. Also each triangular object should be consident to other. Pattern is required to make it easy modifying the angles of triangular object. Below I just sketched "house like" profile, then extruded and made pattern. If I just make the bottom part separately using sweep rectangle on spline shape, then how to attach this perfectly to array of triangular objects? I also had difficulty to align perfectly each triangular object in array... What is the best way to achieve this object?

http://i.imgur.com/tnZXhZG.png

http://i.imgur.com/k7HmcYE.png

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

I've tried to create sweep for the base. However, now I'm stuck on how to create rectangle which will snap to spline surfase(basement top face) and then how to create pattern so each element will follow the surfase curve?

http://i.imgur.com/lPmbyPu.png

I would probably add some additional material to the bottom of the "house" and pattern these along the spline. Be sure the triangle's "normal" is accurate to the starting location of the spline (yours was slightly tilted from normal). Next, use the same spline you used for the pattern to offset an extrude so you can now trim all the "house-bottoms" according to the curve you need.

rather than "houses", you can probably make the triangles oversized. You need the overlap based on the minimum curve radius.

Just to expland on this thought:

Patterns don't seem to follow curves very well by default. You have to make sure that the patterns uses an "alternate origin" (which seems -very- strange to for this to not be the default origin). If you do not use this option, it seems the pattern becomes strangely arbitrary. What it really does, from what I can tell, is to use the center of the feature's rectangular bounding box. If this point is not onn the curve, it generates an alternate curve based on the selected curve.

This image shows the option. I picked the end of the curve as the Alternate Origin:

follow_curve1.JPG

This next image shows the original feature sketch and the offset curve for creating the smoothing cut:

follow_curve2.JPG

Notice how the triangular feature now follows the curve perfectly.

right, the key part is alternate origin, but what I don't know how to do

• How did you manage to create position triangle perpendicular to spline?
  • How to create basement from the same spline under those triangles?

Thanks

Abdul Hamid wrote:

right, the key part is alternate origin, but what I don't know how to do

• How did you manage to create position triangle perpendicular to spline?
  • How to create basement from the same spline under those triangles?

Thanks

• You can constrain a construction line perpendicular to the spline.
  • Look carefully at the second image. Is shows the shape of the patterned part. I then used an extrude with remove material. The sketch was an offset from the original curve with extensions added at the ends of the curve to make sure it bisected the geometry fully.
Top Tags