cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

How to Calculate weight ?

ptc-5332867
1-Newbie

How to Calculate weight ?

How to Calculate weight of Part

in Creo Elements/Pro 5.0

Std. - mmNs

Material - Steel

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-5332867)

I don't know how to do that in Creo Elements/Pro 5.0, but since you posted this on a Creo Elements/Direct community, I'll answer with how to do it in Creo Elements/Direct Modeling. First you go to the Part Properties menu for the part. Go to the Material tab and specify a density (either Instance if the part is shared and each instance has a different density, or Base if it is not shared, or is shared but all instances will have the same density). If you don't know the density, you will have to look it up (there are no standard materials to choose from in the base product). Then go to the Measure menu and select Properties and Part Measure. The weight will be one of the part measure options.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PeterKehoe
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-5332867)

I don't know how to do that in Creo Elements/Pro 5.0, but since you posted this on a Creo Elements/Direct community, I'll answer with how to do it in Creo Elements/Direct Modeling. First you go to the Part Properties menu for the part. Go to the Material tab and specify a density (either Instance if the part is shared and each instance has a different density, or Base if it is not shared, or is shared but all instances will have the same density). If you don't know the density, you will have to look it up (there are no standard materials to choose from in the base product). Then go to the Measure menu and select Properties and Part Measure. The weight will be one of the part measure options.

Go to Analysis - Model - Mass Properties

(Be 1st put the Material Density )

I use Creo Elements/Direct 18.1

A few things not mentioned should be clarified.

Setting your units beforehand. Do you want density in grams/cubic centimeter or pounds/cubic inch?

I typically operate with densities in g/cc.

In which case you need to set your system units to Centimeter.

Next, set part properties for active part

Next, select materials

Next, enter your density in both Base and Instance.

NOTE: You must hit the Enter Key after entering the density for it to be saved.

Next, go to Analysis tab, and select part in Measure group section.

Here you should verify the density was entered correctly.

For the Mass Properties:

In addition to the Density listed for the material, we typically will also add to the general notes:

Volume = X.XX cc

Mass = X.XX grams (Weight)

The only thing I'd add to Gary's response is that you are likely only to need to enter density information in the Base field. The reason is as follows: the Base density is the same for all shared parts, so if you want to change the density later, you only need to change it on one of the parts, and all the others will update.

The exception, as noted by Peter above, is when you want the shared objects to have different densities. In this case, you'd want to set the Base density to be what you want for the more common density, and then set the Instance density for those parts whose density should be different.

If the Instance density is set, it will always take precedence over the Base density (similarly for part colors, etc). So if you want to be able to easily modify the common properties for shared parts, use the Base properties, and then override those properties, if needed, by setting the Instance properties.

Top Tags