cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

How to Use Sweep Blend with what I'm trying to do?

cmccarty
1-Newbie

How to Use Sweep Blend with what I'm trying to do?

I've been trying to find a way to get the top rectangular edge to blend with the edge of the peanut shape,such that it appears trapezoidal. I'm creating a straight line that vertically intersects the middle of the peanut shape's top plane and the center of the rectangle's top plane. Then I use the project feature in the sketcher to to retrace the rectangle for the first sketch, then for the second sketch i do the same for the peanut shape. However, it won't generate the sweep and I can't figure out how.

Anyone?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Casey,

Is this what you are expecting?

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Casey,

Is this what you are expecting?

Yes, that's it!  How did you do??

I used swept blend- used your centre curve as main trajectory and the sketched 2 sections using your curves. In the second sketch you need to divide the curve to used as blend vertex.

I will send you the model soon.

It would be interesting know how to get it to work. Maybe I'm just too inexperienced, but I'm having a hard time. I have been trying to do it using the sketch feature, but can't get it to generate. I also can't seem to figure out how to get the selected curve method of swept blend to work either. I don't seem to understand what the blend vertex is.

Thanks!

See the attached completed model.

Thank you very much. The problem I'm having is after I make the second sketch I'm not sure what to do.  What would be the next step? I'm trying to remove material from the red trace and a sketch that is on the top, which removed the material along the line i made in this file.

Hi, you could try an old school feature called Blend Section to Surface. You will have to search for it, as it is not readily available in the standard Creo toolbars.  See the attached model, it might yield satisfactory results.

John

I can't seem to find that feature for Creo 2.0. I tried the blend to tangents and can't get that to work either. Also, your file doesn't seem to open.

I attach a similar model in Creo 2 so you can see the feature I describe.

John

Here's another solution using a Variable Section Sweep.  I created another trajectory (on the bottom) to control the section normal.  It's a simple oval.  The section is a straight line between the two edges.

It produces a slightly different shape:

Capture.JPG

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

That looks great, too. Would you be able to share how you did in more detail?

It's easiest for you to understand if you look at the model, but I'll give it a shot.

For a sweep, Creo needs to know how to position and orient the sketch as it travels along the trajectories.  You need to define the sketch plane normal and the rotation along the trajectory.

For the geometry you have, using either of the two trajectories as the normal  trajectory (sketch plane stays normal to it all along the sweep) creates problems with overlapping geometry,   By creating a third trajectory (a simple oval with the centers aligned with the centers of the peanut shape, see below) that only defines the normal of the sweep, I eliminated the overlapping geometry.

The section is then a straight line between the rectangular trajectory and the peanut trajectory.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Hi Casey,

Another way is to use Boundary Blend surfaces.

e.g.

Transition.JPG

This allows a lot of control at the expense of a small amount of complexity.

Regards. Brent Drysdale

cchen-2
4-Participant
(To:cmccarty)

e.g.

Top Tags