cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

How to analyze steel wire rope

ptc-3075713
1-Newbie

How to analyze steel wire rope

Hi,

Any one can tell me that how to analyze a steel wire rope dia20 having 6 stands & a steel core of length 6000mm & tight from both the ends & load is appy of 8 ton form top

Picture1.png

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

I guess u can draw a simple line of wire length> select beam idealisation> use sketched beam> draw the size wire cross section. or draw a single rope with the same combined property of these six rope together. Then analysize it. I suggest you could post it as discussion and mark as question for more replies.

Thank You for your reply, even I have tried with beam idealization also as rope is made of 7 strands  (6 Twisted & center core straight)  with twisted prfile accross the length this option not works & if I have taken the rope cross section the length is takes as a combination of 7 rods of Dia 7 and not a rope. So please suggest any option is there or my method is wrong.

Capture.JPG

I suggest you create a simple round beam element with same cross-sectional property of 7 wires. so you get the stresses and deflection. Then make solid model and re alaysis providing with those datas, I understand there would be some contact point porblem for that you can make a small extrution for contact surfaces and treat it as solid.

Top Tags