cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

How to change item number in BOM with part parameters?

MTK143
6-Contributor

How to change item number in BOM with part parameters?

I am looking to be able to set the item number in the BOM with the parameters in the part file.  Was looking though threads about similar topics but still haven't found a definitive answer to this.  Only have found that it might have to do with rpt.index? I know it can be done just not sure how to do so. 

Any guidance/information is greatly appreciated. 

5 REPLIES 5
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:MTK143)

The rpt,index is available only in the BOM table and in part IDs on the drawing.

It is not transferrable back to the part files because it could be any number depending on how you sort your BOM or if used in another assembly, it may be a different number due to number of parts.

WHY do you need to take the rpt.index number back to the part file? It is a generated number based on the position within that assembly BOM.

MTK143
6-Contributor
(To:BenLoosli)

I want to do this to be able to reorder the BOM. When I was in school they had it set up this way where all you had to do was go in the parameters and there was a ID parameter that was linked to the item number in the BOM.  All you had to do was but the item number you want that part to be and it would update the BOM.  Just trying to simplify the lengthy process that we use here to reorder our BOM's.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

The "standard" way to do this is using fix index under table - repeat region.

Using a parameter in your part would work but consider data re-use. If you use a screw in 100 different assemblies, that screw will always be item 28 (for example). If you have 100's of different screws, you'll need to make each one a different item #. I guess it all depends on what your product is and if you re-use your models.

There are some other options, such as component parameters. Search the community for BOM index 

MTK143
6-Contributor
(To:StephenW)

We do reuse some of our parts but we always have the parts in the same order in the BOM or if its a different size it still uses the same spot. Therefor it would not matter for us.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

If you want to fix the BOM item number, then ignore the rpt.index column of a BOM and use your own BOM.Index parameter that you set in each component. Add that as the first column in your BOM and sort by that column,

Top Tags