cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

How to constrain a centerline?

ptc-4371591
1-Newbie

How to constrain a centerline?

Hi,

I am wanting to constrain a centerline in Model Space using an edge of an existing feature. For example in Solidworks I would just RMB the edge and select "Select midpoint" from the dropdown and then ctrl+click the line and make them coincident.

Thanks,

EJ

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Referencing edges is less stable than referencing surfaces, so you should find a way to do that if you can. If your reference is a cylinder, for example, you could create an axis through that cylinder and reference the axis.

If you really do want to reference the midpoint of an edge, I believe you'll have to use a point in the sketch. Create the point (anywhere you like!), then create a Midpoint constraint between the point and the reference edge; and then you can draw a centreline through the point.

HTH!

Create a sketch with a point, or 2 points. Constrain the points. Now create the axis to the point and a perpendicular plane... or the 2 points of the sketch. Point being <pun alert> you now have a constrained feature to tie the axis too.

You can also extrude a hole in space but this always gives a design intent error.

I believe you can use a relations. All depending from what you what to see in the result.

Example, the axis in the mid of an edge: d5=d2/2

axis.PNG

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. What I ended up doing is creating references on the edges I wanted to select and then creating a construction line that would start and end at the references just created, after that I just set a point and constrained it using the midpoint, and finally I added a centerline normal to the construction line and coincident to the point created.

Top Tags