cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How to create Sweep feature with Add Inn Faces function in Creo Parametric 1.0

VladimirPalffy
13-Aquamarine

How to create Sweep feature with Add Inn Faces function in Creo Parametric 1.0

How to do it? Create custom UDF (User-Defined Feature) in old version (Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire) and use it in new version (Creo Parametric) - it is easy

...and here you can find the UDF's:

sweep_add-inn-faces_mm.gph

sweep_add-inn-faces_inch.gph

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy
10 REPLIES 10

This is a technique I can totally get behind. I applaud you for thinking outside the box.

As soon as I saw everyone complaining about the lack of the Add Inner Faces command, I thought of this. You just went back to Wildfire 3 or 4 and made a UDF of an open section sweep using a closed-section curve. You turned on the Add Inner Faces command... and then saved it. Once the UDF has been created, you can apply it to any curve and change the sketch at will. You'll continue to have the Add Inner Faces option because it's legacy from an older version of Wildfire.

Honestly if PTC wanted to quickly resolve the issue, they could just add this kind of UDF to the standard distribution of Pro/E and thus provide users with a workaround.

Great thinking Vladimir. That's the way everyone should use Creo and Pro/E... get tricky!

Thanks Brian.

Yes, you are right. I made som little trick for our desired result (get old function to new version of Creo)

I like new challenges - ProE and Creo is my job and my hobby

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

This is brilliant. http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/38-1286-16192/applause.gif

Thanks Kevin

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Good stuff.  Too bad PTC isn't listening to us when we TELL them we want "Add Inner Faces" back in the software.  I can't believe they took that out, and called it "enhanced" functionality........  SRSLY?

Exacly why I plan to stay on WF4.  And, since Intralink works with WF4, honestly, I wouldn't have gone to Windchill.  But, I don't get to make those decisions yet....

Also, why are sweeps and some other features a TOTAL mishmash of old vs. new GUI's?

This is one of the most disheartening functionalities of Proe/Creo.  There have been several years of Wildfire releases and now we're into the next phase, which is Creo, and still the old and new GUI's are mixed together.

I've had new user's ask me, once they stumble upon a feature that is still using the old GUI, why is this different than the other features, and I can't provide them any logic.  I can only suppose that changing the code to eliminate the old GUI is more work than can be justified on the business side.  I think the results for the new users is to avoid those features of old and be creative with the others.

At the risk of opening a can of worms... I think Creo Parametric is due for the kind of massive, large scale rewrite that PTC recently gave Windchill. Actually they've done it to Windchill twice already. Ever see Windchill 4? Eeeew.

But the point is... I think we need a top-to-bottom reimagining of the software. I'd like to see something emerge that was part Pro/E & Wildfire, part animation package, and part intelligent drawing/document system (like Medusa or AutoCAD). I'd like even tighter and FASTER integration with data mangement. And above all, I'd like a user customization and programming interface that didn't require a BS in computer science to operate.

The Windchill rewrite took $100 million... I'm not sure I see that kind of money dropped into the flagship product. The risk of flubbing it would be very high... and the consequences for such a flub could be catastrophic. Continuing to try to bolt-on new features must surely appear the better way to go at present.

But hey... I'm just guessing. Maybe I have it all wrong.

Am I wrong in operation? But when I operate as the vedio, the model is SOLID although the icon at model tree of the feature is SURFACE,  and I can't modify it to SURFACE. There must be something wrong.

I think " this method is also can't solve the problem at Creo" or " my operation is wrong."

If you create your UDF as solid - new features in Creo will be solid. If you create surface feature - in Creo do you have surface feature again.

Everything it is about preparation of your UDF's

Vladimir

Best Regards,
Vladimir Palffy

Where can I find the mentioned UDF's? The link no longer works.

Tom

Top Tags