cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

How to create a indented channel in a wavy surface

creo1234
1-Newbie

How to create a indented channel in a wavy surface

I am trying to create a channel down the ridge of this steering spindle:

http://i.imgur.com/ASuFEFw.jpg

Like the channel running down this connecting rod, used to save weight:

http://i.imgur.com/WEio1lf.jpg

The surface is created using a swept blend. What I've been trying is creating a new datum plane offset and parallel to the spindle. Sketching the ridge, then projecting it onto the surface. I cannot seem to indent/ extrude this sketch into the surface of the spindle, creating a channel or groove. Any help is much appreciated!

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3

You could use the Offset feature - with draft - or expand, and use the sketch that you have created to create the offset in the sketched region (I had an internal sketch but it can be a sketch feature - drop down shown.

offset.png

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:creo1234)

Without seeing a sketch of what you're actually trying to achieve, it's impossible to help.

Charlotte has the right method for a common depth throughout, although there might be a few more with a project and sweep if varying thickness is required. Even an extrude will suffice if a common thickness in the web is desired. Many ways to look at this so the desired result is important to know up front.

Top Tags