cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

How to create center line between patterned slots??

sbhushankumar
1-Newbie

How to create center line between patterned slots??

Hello everyone,

I have a need to create center lines between the slots made between the patterned features. I have uploaded the picture of my model. Even though I somehow managed to create it but it took me lot of time by taking offsets and trimimg etc. Is there any easy way of doing it. The Right side pic shows exactely how I want it.

Thank you.

Shashi

pattern.png

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

Hi.

If your part is centered with the default datum planes,

You can create datum axis with the default datum plane and the surface of your part,

After you only have to use the show/model annotation in the drawing mode.

Your axis should appear, know you only have to add the centerline note (don't forget relate to view ).

Good Luck

You can sketch an "axis point" in sketcher. This can be part of another feature and will be part of the features pattern. You can then show the axis in the drawing.

Shashi,

I beleive that from what I am seeing that you would have to create the datum pints in a sketch at each end of the slots that you have created. Then accept the sketch. Using these points you can place axis lines thru two points for each of the slots. This will be very time consuming!

Just wondering what does the cross section of the slots that you created. If there is a rounded bottom on the slots then you can forget the sketch and just place the axis on the center of that rounded bottom. If it has a flat bottom then you wiill need to use the sketch.

Just remember to use the "DATUM POINT" not the "SKETCHING POINT". Sketching points will not show up after the sketch is complete.

Good luck.

Kevin

Thank You all for your replies.

I think If there was any option to pattern any entity in sketcher mode this would hv been so much easier. Or if we could offset a line into multiple entites.

I am attaching the actual model please help me find a solution for this.

Thank you.

Shashi, normally there would be no centerlines along these features in the drawing. It just clutters the drawing more than necessary. Since this is a variation of knurling, you should be able to use very similar methods to detail such information.

I will have a look at your model. This should be fairly easy to accomplish, but the length of the centerlines may still require sizing to get it to look exactly as you show. Again, a lot more work than is necessary.

oops, I cannot open this. This must be from Creo 3.0.

Hi Antonius,

Yes sadly this file is from creo 3.0.

May be I have not been able to explain what I exactely want. I dont want to create the drawing for this.I just want to create those lines in the part mode only. This model is actually of a manhole cover seen from top.And you can see those checkered patterns and also the slots that have been created due to these patterns. I am only looking to find an easy way to create these lines (at the center of all the slots).Just Imagine these lines as the path that cutter will follow to create the model. Also the lines dont have be exactely of the same lenght as shown in the pic that I uploaded.

Have you tried this with a hatch pattern? Pattern a sketch (several different ones or an "X" fill pattern)? A decal texture?

Well, there are 2 more options:

1. Make quilt extrude and reference pattern it then cut it with xsection and make curve out of that xsection.

2. Use pattern in Layout and then export to DXF then open it in sketcher or just import it in model.

Cheers

Top Tags