cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

How to delete/hide weak dimensions?

AraviK1
1-Newbie

How to delete/hide weak dimensions?

Hi folks,

How to delete/hide weak dimensions in sketch mode?

Capture.PNG

Thanks

AraviK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Right click on graphics area in sketcher > Option>in sketcher preferences dialogue>uncheck weak dimensions.(make a map key if you like)

config.pro option : sketcher_disp_weak_dimensions no

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Jeroen
1-Newbie
(To:AraviK1)

Creo makes a sketch fully constrained by adding weak dimensions.

Without them, Creo doesn't have enough information to create the sketch.

You can add extra dimensions, or edit the weak dimension, to make strong dimensions.

The weak ones that aren't needed anymore, will disappear automatically.

AraviK1
1-Newbie
(To:Jeroen)

thanks Jeroen.

it is better to make your drawing fully constraint rather tahn having a sketch with weak dimension

give constraint on the sketch this will remove some of the weak dimension

Yes sanosh. Thanks

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II
(To:AraviK1)

The weak dims are still controlling geometry and are therefore necessary. If you don't want them, you need to add other constraints or dimensions to constrain the sketch so that they are no longer necessary.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

I thought the better method was the way PTC set it up - make the weak dimensions almost the same color as the background so they were not noticeable. It should be easy enough to match the weak dimension color to the background, rendering them invisible.

By-the-by, I despise the auto weak-dimension/constraint system. When a sketch doesn't fail and I know that it should, my attention is split between determining the dimensions and constraints that are still required and trying to figure out where Sketcher added dimensions and constraints to zero out the degrees of freedom. Most of the time it's because of auto-constraint side-effects, assuming things are equal or collinear, rather than a dimension, so it's a tiny mark amongst many other. It also interferes in that I may assume I have the sketch correctly constrained, but it really isn't, because Intent Manager has interceded and hidden the defect.

Anyone remember Microsoft Clippy? Intent Manager is PTC's version. "Hi, it looks like you are creating a sketch - mind if I just dimension that for you? Not what you want? Just find all the constraints I Easter egged all over the place and delete them. As you delete them I'll add more dimensions to clutter the sketch."

It's like having air-bags that are always deployed. You don't get injured when the car crashes, but cars get crashed a lot because the drivers can't see over the air-bags.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:dschenken)

I think the best way would be the option to turn the automatic constraints off (yes, I know there's a setting, but it doesn't 100% work) and force you to manually add the constraints. that way you know EXACTLY what you're getting (if you use query-select) and the sketch never wastes time trying to calculate constraints it THINKS you want. I think on large sketches (especially logo's) it would greatly speed things up and prevent a ton of failures.

How about this:

http://communities.ptc.com/ideas/1992

I think the problem with the weak/strong thing is mostly because the weak dimensions and constraints are just so hard to see.

Of course, then there are the people like a couple of my co-workers, who can't see red or green. So, even when they are highlighted, they just look grey. I'm expaining something to them and say something like 'Click on the Highlighted Constraint' and they look at me as if I were speaking Martian!

We'll never please all the users...

John

Yes John. I agree with you.

Right click on graphics area in sketcher > Option>in sketcher preferences dialogue>uncheck weak dimensions.(make a map key if you like)

config.pro option : sketcher_disp_weak_dimensions no

Thanks to ptc-4684141.

This is what exactly i want.

Thank you so much 🙂

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:gkrishna)

I suppose you can turn them off, but on complicated sketches, I like to know that there are things I need to constrain still. I can see turning them off, THINKING you had your sketch fully constrained the way you want, making a change to a visible dimension down the road, perhaps in the dwg, and getting unwanted side effects. You can do this, but I'd advise against it.

If you think you've fully constrained your sketch how you want and there are still weak dims displayed, you didn't fully constrain your sketch.

--
LinkedIn

Wow, this may go in my config.sup with a no. I never want our users to hide or ignore dims that drive geometry.

--
LinkedIn
Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:dgschaefer)

Why a "no" value if you don't want users to ignore dimensions that drive geometry? Weak dimensions DO drive geometry, but they can also be driven. I want my users to see everything, so they don't have the illusion that they've fully constrained a sketch when they haven't. To me, a no value is like putting a piece of electrical tape over the "check engine" light on your dashboard.

I'm hoping Doug is simply victim of the double-negative conumdrum and will shortly change his answer to a yes.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II
(To:dschenken)

Hah!

Yep, I was moving too fast. I absolutely don't want the weak dims hidden. I want them shown.

Is it Friday? Sigh.

--
LinkedIn

It preferrable that your sketch should not have weak dimensions. Make your sketch fully constrained, then no weak dimension will be there.

Yes Kiran. You are right. But sometimes its necessary to give tentative drawings.

Thanks

AraviK

Top Tags