cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

How to get coordinates of a point

AnkurAggarwal
1-Newbie

How to get coordinates of a point

Hi all How can we get coordinates (cylinderical) of a point with respect to a coordinate system? Thanks Ankur
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ankur, To get the coordinates of a point from a coordinate system do the following: 1. Pick Analysis, Measure, Distance. 2. In the distance window that comes up, pick the box next to Projection Direction. 3. Now select the coordinate system in the part/assembly to want to go from. 4. Then select your From and To objects (point and coordinate system). 5. Then pick the i symbol next to where the results show. 6. This opens up a window to better see what the x, y & z distances are. When done you can close the windows. Dennis

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Ankur, To get the coordinates of a point from a coordinate system do the following: 1. Pick Analysis, Measure, Distance. 2. In the distance window that comes up, pick the box next to Projection Direction. 3. Now select the coordinate system in the part/assembly to want to go from. 4. Then select your From and To objects (point and coordinate system). 5. Then pick the i symbol next to where the results show. 6. This opens up a window to better see what the x, y & z distances are. When done you can close the windows. Dennis

Ankur, Do you need to do this often? If so, one or more Mapkeys would be useful. I would have to experiment to see if it could be done with one, but I'm a little doubtful. Otherwise, if you only have to do this occasionally, do the following. Create XZ & XY Datum Planes through the origin of your coordinate system for reference. (If you are using the usual default datum features, they will already be there.) Create a Datum Point at the origin of the CSYS, then a Datum Axis through the Point, normal to the XY plane, then a Datum Plane through the Axis and through the Point you are trying to measure. Analysis/Measure/Angle from the XZ plane will give you the theta dimension. Measure/Distance from the XY plane to the point will give you the Z dimension, and Measure/Distance from the Axis to the Point will give you R. David
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:DavidButz)

When you select the coordinate system as the projection reference just select the coordinate type that you want the results in. WF2 should give a pop-up menu that lets you select the coordinate type for the results. WF3 and WF4 have a drop down list on the Distance dialog box that lets you select the coordinate type.

Thanks everyone. Ankur

Do anybody know some method which can give coordinates of a large no. of points directly. It can be done in Autocad which is very useful. You can make .pts file from autocad output and import in pro/e. But I cud not find any method in pro/e which gives me coordinates of a large no. of points direcly. Actually I have made points over a geometry in proe and I want to have coordinates of all those points. Thanks Ankur

Hello Ankur, you can also go to Analysis > Geometry > Point and select which coord sys and point you wish. You can even change the type to Saved or Feature. Saved will leave the info on your screen and Feature will allow you to produce some Parameter info and it will now be a feature in the model tree. Good luck, Joel

Thanks Joel. But I have a large no. of points created on some existing geometry. Can I get coordinates of all those points with respect to a coordinate system direcly? Thanks Ankur

See: Suggested Technique for Exporting the Coordinates of Many Points: http://www.ptc.com/cs/cs_26/howto/eni533/eni533.htm I think that the IGES file technique will do what you want...

I am not able to open dis page, as my account does not have permission. Can somebody plz copy the contents of this page in this forum. Thanks Ankur

I know this post is pretty old to get bumped, but we are experiencing this same process in creating hose routings. We create a point file in the upper assembly using clipping points and then export this out as an iges, change the file extension and import it back in as points offset from coordinate system. Is there a way to create a program through toolkit to automate this(create a copy of a point file that uses geometry and make it offset coordinate system) or some other easier way than walking through all the steps?

The following Knowledge Base articles could also be reviewed on some topics derived from the initial post:

• CS33077:     How to measure the X Y Z distance between two points in Creo Parametric
  • CS105976:  How to extract from a curve the coordinate points in Creo Parametric
  • CS28050:     How to show the X,Y,Z coordinates of datum points in a table in Pro/ENGINEER, Creo Elements/Pro, and Creo Parametric
  • CS162159:  How to measure the XYZ coordinates of a Datum point (Point3D) with respect to a given Coordinate system (CSYS) through JLink for Creo Parametric
Top Tags