cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How to include apostrophe in a restricted value definition file enum list

dpowers
1-Newbie

How to include apostrophe in a restricted value definition file enum list

Hi, I have a list in a restricted definition file where one of the values includes an apostrophe (a name list).

The file will not load with the syntax I have tried so far. Can anyone help with how this is accomplished?

The file loads and works well with the list commented out. I have read thru several of the help topics online

but have not seen this covered (or, I am missing something ) .

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Creo Parametric 3.0

Win 7

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
12 REPLIES 12
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:dpowers)

Try delimiting it.

Creo Parametric Help Center

P.S.  I'm sort of questioning the double quotes statement. All the sample files I've seen use single quotes around the string values...

dpowers
1-Newbie
(To:TomU)

Tom,

Appreciate the reply. I did try the \' and also \\' previously. It did not work for me. I had seen the syntax help page also. Agree on the single quotes comment.

Thanks,

Doug

TomU
23-Emerald IV

dpowers‌,

I just did some testing and I confirm that double quotes are not accepted and using the backslash as a delimiter does not work.  I've opened a case with tech support.  I'll let you know what they say.

dpowers
1-Newbie

Tom,

Thanks for your help with this.

Doug

TomU
23-Emerald IV

dpowers‌,

SPR 6170307 has been filed and related article CS247073 created.  (I do not know if these are publicly viewable yet.)  Now we wait for R&D to figure out what's going on.

dpowers
1-Newbie

Tom,

Thanks for the update and links.

Doug

dpowers
1-Newbie

Tom,

It was suggested to me that a double single quote syntax may work. I tried it. It does work and I did test in a drawing format table.

FYI.

Thanks again,

Doug

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Interesting.  What is your final intended value?

dpowers
1-Newbie

An enum list of approver names, one of which includes an apostrophe (O'neal).

- Doug

mender
6-Contributor

Sounds like people have figured it out, but to close the loop, the way to get a single quote in the middle of the string

'Oneal'

is to put the single quote in twice:

'O''neal'

Note that this is two copies of a single-quote, not one double-quote.

The documentation is wrong and will be corrected under the SPR noted above.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:mender)

Matthew Ender‌, maybe you should let tech support and R&D know.  I filed and the case and haven't heard anything since September 23rd.

mender
6-Contributor

Typically, TS gets back to the customer after the resolution is submitted and verified.  In the normal situation, this is to let you know the code fix is coming in the next maintenance release, or to say that the patched model has just been provided.  This situation is quite unusual, as the software is working just fine, just needs doc fixed, *and* that the problem gets in the way of using of software (which most doc-only issues don't).

The developer informed Documentation of what update to make, and it's just waiting on the formality of putting it in the system and translating into all the languages.  I was CC'd on that, and figured I could provide you all with some immediate benefit by posting the pending doc update here, even though it's not 100% formalized yet.

Top Tags