Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make a analysis on oak

Re: How to make a analysis on oak

Dear,

Now the only thing I can do is following a small screen with the step materials, constraints, loads, analysis and view result.

Mine licence does not allow to us the upper toolbar.

Kinds regards

Highlighted

Hello,

I am using the Academic Edition so I am able to see the beam.

Check the video for the solution of your problem.

Read while the video is loading...

Solution for Analysis and Simulation Question

Some comments/tips about the video and your problem:

• The Academic Version allows to import simulation features from the Lite Version. I use the forces and constraints and create a new analysis. Based on your problem, I though it was better to use a surface and a shell idealization with 48 mm of thickness (in my opinion) and set simulate to 2D Plain Stress.

• To avoid point constraints (which can lead to singularities, and personal I don't like it) the two side edges were constrained.

• To avoid point forces (which can lead to singularities, and I don't like it either), three edges were sketched and constrained.

• Oak is not (by far) an isotropic material, so this is not a valid analysis for this material.

• To get the most accurate results, Measures were selected as Convergence Criteria.

• Notice how a simple problem reaches the 8th polynomial order when you select Measures as Convergence Criteria. Soon I will post a question about this, when you select Global RMS as convergence criteria, none of the measures (as stress) when you plot it against a graph has a visible convergence, mostly is always a straight line! Why? Notice in the video how convergence was reached by Global RMS and Measures are still to far of 8%. The safety factor will suffer the consequences or your processor should fried?

You are using the Lite Version. Try to apply this tips to your model (eliminate the load on the edges, create little regions or extrudes instead, avoid constraint points..)

Nice Friday to everybody. Sorry for the Spam, was a huge problem upload the video.

Highlighted

I can't reproduce the 11.4mm now, but that site has some numbers already filled in by default, so that may have caused it.

For a simply supported beam I find 80.8mm. That is also what i find in Creo (81.0mm) and Abaqus (80.9mm) using beam sections on curves.

The difference must be in the constraints on the end points. My beams are "simply supported".

For a beam fully fixed at both ends, the hand calcs say 19.7mm, and Creo says 19.9 mm.

What constraints are you using to obtain 22mm Steven?

Highlighted

I can't attach files here, so I opened a new Discussion here

There you can find my model, so maybe you can compare to yours?

Highlighted

Translating the geometry to the Academic Version and avoiding singularities

Gives the same result. 22 mm. According to the original constraints of the Lite Version, is fixed in all DOF and with free rotation in all direction (SOLID ELEMENTS, which does not support rotation, but well.. just info). Notice the values of Material Properties (KPA!)

OAK.jpg

Using Beam Idealization it gives 16.6 mm, but I am not sure if I constrained this correctly.

Announcements
LiveWorx Call For Papers Happening Now!