cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

How to make copy of PART & DRAWING

agaribay
3-Visitor

How to make copy of PART & DRAWING

I am trying to create a copy of an existing drawing giving it a new number.

I have set the option:  rename drawings with object  =  both

Both the Model and the Drawing have the same part number and are open / in session.

I "SAVE AS" - (Save as Copy), and enter the NEW PART NUMBER.

I end up with a New Drawing, but no new part.  The part in the drawing still shows the Old Part Number.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

CREO 2.0

Thanks.

-Art

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Open the drawing and the part in Creo; make sure the part window is active. At this point, do file / save as / save a copy. In the message portion of your Creo window, you should see the rename of the part and drawing being complete. In case you miss it, you can check the message log and find it there.

Have a good one.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Art,

All steps seems good.

Try to create a part as a.prt and drawing of A.prt as A.drw.

Save in same location and close part and drawing.

Open part A and Save as to B

Check for B.drw.

There are only three conditions for this:

1. Name of part and drawings should be same.

2. Saved in same location.

3. Config options should be set.

DID not work

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:Joe_Mama)

Do you have the config option set correctly? (rename drawings with object  =  both)

Was the drawing and the model named exactly the same? (other than the extension)

The save must be done on the part.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

If you are working on a folder structure (not pdmlink), I think the easiest way is to simply copy the drawing and the part to a new, empty folder. Open the drawing and the part, rename the part, rename the drawing. Save the drawing. If you need to, move something on the drawing to get it to save. Make sure you save the drawing after you've renamed the part, if you don't save it last, the drawing will still reference the old part.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Windchill or not?

If not, see my post below.

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:agaribay)

Are you doing save as on the part or the drawing? You need to do the save as on the part.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Do you have Windchill? If so, I am not sure.

If you do not have windchill, I save a copy of both the part and the drawing in the file folder where they are located with a naming convention of:

zzzzold_file_name.prt

zzzzold_file_name.drw

I then open both the part and the drawing (the name without the zzzzz prefix) and do a rename of both the drawing and the part. Rename old_file_name.prt/drw to new_file_name.prt/drw. After saving both, I then go back into the folder and rename the zzzz files and remove the zzzzz.

Then the old part still opens and it should and the new part with it's drawing opens as it should.

Thanks, Dale

Chris3
20-Turquoise
(To:Dale_Rosema)

If you have Windchill then another technique is to just open both in session and do a rename on both and save. That's it. Renaming both items through the Creo interface in a Windchill environment is the same as a save as.

Make sure to have any next higher assemblies you want updated in session or make sure to erase everything if you don't want next higher assemblies updated.

Open the drawing and the part in Creo; make sure the part window is active. At this point, do file / save as / save a copy. In the message portion of your Creo window, you should see the rename of the part and drawing being complete. In case you miss it, you can check the message log and find it there.

Have a good one.

Thanks guys.  I ended up making a copy of the Drawing and Part in another directory.  I then opened both and renamed in session.  done.

I will have to try SAVEAS with the Part Window Active as I had the Drawing Active.

We do not use Windchill.  We're using Agile Engineering Collaboration.

Art,

As you manage to get it working, you may mark the appropriate answer as correct in the post.

that is to say the prt and drawing must be in the same folder, and our company seperate the prt folder and drawing folder ,i think it is not correct .do you think ?

and i have a windchill , i want to create a new prt and drw in the windchill in IE browse, i use the save as ,but i  can not rename them,please see the piture for more details. please tell me what can i do to resolve the problem,thank youCapture.PNG

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:yyang-4)

Add your part and your drawing to a workspace and do the save as in the workspace instead of in the commonspace as your image shows.

rburgess-2
14-Alexandrite

For what it's worth, the procedure/command I use is:

• Assemble an additional item of the part you wish to copy.
  • "Replace with copy", which copies both part and drawing. (Handy if you are adding an alike item E.g. an extrusion that is different length)
  • *Note: if part to be copied has a family table that is used in drawing, additional steps are needed.

Art,

the description of rename_drawings_with_object option tells us ... options controls whether the system copies associated drawings automatically with parts and assemblies. This means you have to copy the part, not the drawing !!!

MH

Martin Hanák

Thank you Martin!!

I think this should have been marked as a solution.

Top Tags