cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How to mirror a part with family table

ptc-2580255
1-Newbie

How to mirror a part with family table

Hello everybody,

it might be a simple problem, but I was not able to find a solution up to now.

I have a part with a family table.

Now i want a mirrored part from every member of the family table.

Up to now, I opened each member of the family and created a mirror part from that.

Is there a way to create a mirrored part with a family table, where I can list the family members of the original part in the table?

Maybe somebody can help me with this.

any feedback is apreciated.

Best regards

Alfred

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

I think it could be done, but it'd depend on the geometry and feature order (parent/child dependencies) to make it work right, and the mirror features would have to be placed at the correct spot in the model tree to make it work as you describe. Now, I used to use family tables to make left and right mirror image parts, but it was a simple table of only 2 parts (L&R), but it worked very well.

Best of luck.

thank you Frank,

I think you say: Plcae the mirror-feature at the end of the original part. this mirror feature contains all a mirror of all features before and so I could have it in the family table. I think with your proposal, i will get a part that has left and right body in one part. So to say a multi-body-part.

I never thought about a multibody-part, but it sounds good. I will try.

thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards

alfred

What I did, dince I had a simple left and right configuration without any other variations, was put the mirror feature as the third last feature, the second last feature was a mirror datum completely offset of the geometry, and the last feature was a cut using that plane to eliminate the opposite side geometry. As long as the parts remain COMPLETELY mirror image, that works very well. One instance will have the last 3 features regenerated in the family table, the opposite side will not. Now, it's POSSIBLE to have L&R mirror parts that have different options (machining of a casting, etc.), but you might have to place several mirror features in different locations in the tree after those specific features, and be VERY careful. In fact, I'd probably build "skeleton" typ features such as curves and surfaces if needed to eliminate parent/child relationships that could screw up the table. It's an intriguing idea, I've just never needed to do it.

thanks for the additional explanations.

sounds like a tricky "project" . I will play a bit and see where I end up.

Thanks again for your help.

Best regards

alfred

Top Tags