cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to mirror a sketch, and revolve it about a centerline EXTERNAL to the sketch?

SOLVED

Re: How to mirror a sketch, and revolve it about a centerline EXTERNAL to the sketch?

jmonk - that will work but he was asking to use an external axis.

Highlighted

Re: How to mirror a sketch, and revolve it about a centerline EXTERNAL to the sketch?

The first axis can be placed on the external axis if it is specified as a sketch reference. Have I missed something?

in this case the axis of revolution has to be in the sketch.

it can be placed in the sketch at anytime...but...you have to define it as the axis of revolution.

select the desired center-line right click and select "designate axis of revolution" from the pop-out

No, you are correct but in his message he stated that he physically wanted to pick the axis in the 3D model ("outside the sketch") and not reference it in the sketch. Your explanation is how I do it and is correct.

Wow, first time user here, and I'm delighted by all the helpful people out there. Asked a question, left work, and came back the next morning with a ton of suggestions. I gave the correct answer to JAN ZWIJSEN because Jan was the first to suggest referencing the external axis in the sketch and using it as the axis of revolution before drawing my "mirror" centerline. Since it seems like there is no way to reference an external axis without first making an incomplete sketch, going out of the sketch, selecting the axis of revolution, and then going back into the sketch to complete it.

I really appreciate all the other and similar suggestions. Thanks for your help everyone! I learned there are a couple different ways to work around it.

This is definitely a possible work around. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, I think you guys are right. Looks like I HAVE to reference the external axis inside my sketch. Thanks for the help.

In the Olde Days, this was true, and it was a PITA.  Years ago they added the ability to pick any centerline, or use an external one.

Announcements
LiveWorx Call For Papers Happening Now!