cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

How to model round corner of a slot with various chamfer length?

ak-2
1-Newbie

How to model round corner of a slot with various chamfer length?

I am trying to make the model of the attached images. My main problem is the two end round corners. In Solidworks, I lofted cut this with two variable sections and two variable guides, however, apparently in Creo I cannot have multiple sections and multiple trajectories, as I tried to blend top section of the slot with the second below section on an angled plane and it didn't work.

I also tried chamfering with two various variables and used transition point somewhere at the middle of the round end part of the slot, and it didn't work either.

Anyone has an idea how can I do this?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
13 REPLIES 13
DonSenchuk
7-Bedrock
(To:ak-2)

In looking at this, I'm not certain you need multiple trajectories. My first guess would be that a single trajectory with multiple sections should do the trick (Swept Blend).

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

It looks like the slot is offset from the chamfer. Maybe make the chamfer to a small slot and then extrude the offset slot.

I think this is an artifact of the toolmaker where the chamfer was made first (boss) and the slot was added afterward and came out off center.

mpeterson
1-Newbie

Yes you shouldn't need two trajectories and a swept blend should do it. A boundary blend surface is also another avenue with the top and bottom of the race track as your first direction curves and the different slopes between them at each tangency of the ends as your second direction curves should do it too. If I can't create the feature with a simple function I tend to create boundary blends so I have good control of the geometry and I can also create all my curves in individual features ahead of time then just select them as needed in the surface creation. It might be over kill, but works for me.

mganzer
1-Newbie

You could just do the individual chamfers on the two straight edges (you can stop the chamfers at the vertices at the end of the straight lines) and sweep to connect the two on the 180 degree half circles.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Does this look right?

cham1.JPGcham2.JPG

ak-2
1-Newbie
(To:Inoram)

It does actually. Is it possible for you to upload the cad model?

Thanks everyone else, I worked with Solidworks all the time and recently started Creo, that's why I don't have lots of experience. I understand what you say in words, my only problem is when I start trying them, it won't work.

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

The model is basically what Antonius described above.

MauroStefanovic
4-Participant

It seems there's a transition between radius and chamfer.

Cattura.PNG

ak-2
1-Newbie

Just wanted to say thanks everyone. I got it done last night.

Cheers,

MauroStefanovic
4-Participant

Could you kindly post your solution?

Tmetcalf
Emeritus

Welcome to PTC Community AK - glad you were able to find your solution.

There is much knowledge within and many follow these discussions; as Mauro Zovi‌ mentioned, please either:

1. Post your solution

2. Mark one of the suggestions provided as correct.

Have a great day.

Best,

Toby

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

I couldn't open the file because I'm on an older version. There really only needs to be 2 simple features, the slot cut, and the chamfer. I made the trajectory the same size in the X and Z as the dlot, but it doesn't have to be. I realize this is answered, but it was a fun little short diversion.

OFFSET_CHAMFER-01.jpg

ak-2
1-Newbie

Toby Metcalf and MauroStefanovic,

What Matt Griswold and  Patriot_1776 posted are both right solutions. As I mentioned earlier, Matt's solution solved the problem. It can be done by a slot cut and a chamfer.

Regards,

Top Tags