cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

How to project a datum point onto a non planar surface?

rcaetano
4-Participant

How to project a datum point onto a non planar surface?

Hello to all, 

how can I project a datum point onto a non planar surface? I tried to use datum point command but only allows project onto plane or planar surface.

If it is not possible, it there any workaround to accomplish it?

BTW, I´m using Creo 4.0.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:rcaetano)

A different normal can be for each and every point on the surface. You may be able to get what you want by going to Analysis tab, measure, select the point and the surface, in the analysis dialog, box, select feature, then checkbox the datum points for both positions, and SAVE in the analysis box, you can accept the default name.

project.jpg

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
StephenW
23-Emerald II

You can add an axis or sketch line that intersects the surface. The you can create the point at the intersection.

rcaetano
4-Participant
(To:StephenW)

It is not clear for me what you said. For instance I would like to project datum point highlighted on picture below onto surface. How can I do this?

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Create an Axis thru the point that that intersects the surface. Then create another point at using the point command, select both the axis and the surface.

It's difficult to say for the situation depicted. Do you want the point on the surface that is closest to the datum point? What Stephen is saying is that you need to define a direction in which you are going to project. There are an infinite number of points that can be defined as a projection of the point onto the surface - it's only when you define a vector for the direction of projection that you get a unique answer.

rcaetano
4-Participant
(To:KenFarley)

Hello Ken, create a point on surface that is closest to datum point is exactly what I want. How can I do that?

I don't know how you can save get any sort of geometry out of a distance measurement, but mathematically I believe the shortest distance to the surface usually is normal to it. So you do exactly as Stephen suggested already:

* Create an axis selecting your surface, with a normal to specified, then selecting the point of interest.

* Create a point by selecting the newly created axis and your surface.

That should do it.

rcaetano
4-Participant
(To:KenFarley)

I tried but it is not working. I just realize that I can only select point that lies onto surface when I used axis with surface normal. I cannot select point that is out of surface.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

A different normal can be for each and every point on the surface. You may be able to get what you want by going to Analysis tab, measure, select the point and the surface, in the analysis dialog, box, select feature, then checkbox the datum points for both positions, and SAVE in the analysis box, you can accept the default name.

project.jpg

StephenW
23-Emerald II

When you save, use the make feature option.

project2.jpg

rcaetano
4-Participant

Thank you! It works like a charm!

StephenW
23-Emerald II

Glad we got there. It just popped in to my head that the analysis feature might be able to do this for you.
Top Tags