cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How to remove assumed 'wall' when mirroring extrusion?

cbraithwaite
1-Newbie

How to remove assumed 'wall' when mirroring extrusion?

Im creating a part which is symmetrical so I have mirrored all the extrusions however where it has done so Creo has created a wall/mass along the datum. How can I remove this mass or alter the mirror so this does not happen?

Im new to Creo

Thanks for any help.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

A picture might be in order here. This doesn't sound like typical behavior.

Welcome to the forum, Cameron.

I agree, an image or two would help.

However, a more reliable way to create a symmetric part is to build one entire half of the part and then mirror the part itself by selecting the part at the top of the tree and then selecting mirror. Mirroring (or copying) individual features "locks" the parent feature, limiting how it can be redefined. New references cannot be chosen without deleting the mirrored copy first.

That may not help this specific situation, however it will result in a more robust and flexible part.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

Hi Doug,

Yes sorry this is what I have done, ive only sketched half it and want to mirror the other half. However where there should be space Creo has made a solid wall along the datum which is being used as the mirroring reference.

Will try and upload photo to better explain.

I've seen this "union" happened in the past. Very annoying. Personally, I consider it is bug.

Feel free to report a support case and include the file. They might have some tips on how to avoid this.

Of course, when I try to reproduce this, it doesn't do it

Not to be too difficult on this point, but in your original you indicated "I have mirrored all the extrusions" but now you are saying you mirrored the entire part. There are often multiple different, but similar, ways of doing things in Creo, how you did it may have a bearing on what is happening and how to fix it.

I'm suggesting a single mirror feature by selecting the part name at the top of the tree and mirroring that rather than a feature by feature (or extrusion by extrusion) mirroring, which is what I thought you were saying that you did.

I can't say never, but I don't recall ever seeing extra material added when the entire part is mirrored. Neither method should create extra material, but changing how it is mirrored may solve your problem. Another method would be to create a copy of all solid surfaces, mirroring the quilt and solidifying it.

Again, an image of what is happening is really needed.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags