cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Windchill version parameters on a drawing?

SOLVED

Re: How to use Windchill version parameters on a drawing?

Yep.  The issue isn't the creation of the template, it's the usage.  When Creo creates a new drawing from a template, behind the scenes it does a save-as, then loads the new drawing into session, then adds the appropriate model to it.  At step two, before the new model has been added yet, the note and table parameters will immediately snap to matching drawing parameters instead of waiting for the not-yet-added model's parameters.  This is what's so helpful about the new syntax.  It forces the drawing to not switch to the drawing's parameters, even if they exist with the same name.

I understand now.  I just tested and found the same behaviour, I had to check in and check out and reapply the format if I wanted to show &PTC_WM_VERSIONSmiley Very Happy.  Have to do the Creo 2 M160 or M170 now date code update and try :MDL.

All,

Just to clarify what exactly is happening.

When creating a new drawing with Windchill parameters if the parameter does not exist the parameter is change to text.

Example &PTC_WM_VERSIONSmiley Very Happy becomes PTC_WM_VERSION plain text.

options.

1. Create templates. Don't confuse templates with formats they are not the same. A template uses an existing drawing and they are stored in windchill. so the parameter is already in the existing drawing used by the template
  2. Add the format after the drawing has been checked in.
  3. Replace the format after it has been checked in.
  4. Manually edit the text adding back the (&) at the front and the(Smiley Very Happy)at the end.

Ref SPR 4995703. M050 may fix this issue

An enhancement was made in Creo 2 M160 (well, M150, but there was a bug in the implementation fixed in M160) and Creo 3 M040 relative to this:  where you can use 'Smiley Very Happy' to indicate the drawing, and ':#' to indicate a solid model by runtime id, you can now use ':MDL' to indicate the current solid model of the drawing.  You can also put such a note in a template drawing, and it will wait until there is a solid to resolve against.  Once the solid is identified, it will be a parametric callout using that model, using the ':#' syntax.

Can anyone confirm?

Have they fix the issue with parameters changing to text?

Example &PTC_WM_VERSIONSmiley Very Happy becomes PTC_WM_VERSION plain text.