cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Hyperelastic material in Mechanica

mboremyr
1-Newbie

Hyperelastic material in Mechanica

I have been searching for information on Hyperelastic materials in Mechanica for some time. The information I can find is almost only connected to hyperelastic materials used for modeling elastomers (rubber). I would like to know if it is possible to use the hyperelastic material models for plastics (any kind) as well? How come I don't find anything about it? Is the hyperelastic materials only suited for large strain and nearly incompressible material (poison 0.5)??

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1

Martin,

Mechanica has a number of different hyperelastic material models avaialable, some of which are suitable for modelling thermoplastic material for small strains. If you have a stress-strain curve for your material, you can curve fit the data in Mechanica and find the model which has the closest fit.

My experience in analysing plastic parts is that carrying out a large deformation analysis is of much more importance than material non-linearity. Don't forget, Mechanica non-linear materials are always elastic, so you can't find out the 'set' of any parts.

Regards,

Rod

Rod Giles
Principal Engineer
Triumph Motorcycles

Top Tags