cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Import native NX assembly with known structure opens empty

Michael_Ball
5-Regular Member

Import native NX assembly with known structure opens empty

I would appreciate some insight from those of you that have experience with the importing of native NX data into Creo.  I have a native NX assembly at one time I was able to successfully import into Creo 6.  Unfortunately, I am now required to go backwards to Creo 4 due to customer requirements.  

When I attempt to import into Creo 4 it imports an empty assembly showing only a import feature.  It doesn't bring in any of the components or sub-assemblies.

Naturally, my next step was to attempt re-importing the native NX assembly using Creo 6 again attempting identify if the version change was the root cause.  Much to my surprise, I am now getting the same result as list above in Creo 4.  Needless to say this is maddening. It was successfully imported previously in Creo 6. Now I am getting different behavior. I am unable to identify what has changed.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this type of phenomenon using the import capabilities of native NX assemblies into Creo?

9 REPLIES 9

@Michael_Ball 

May be version of NX..   Compatibility matrix is here

Michael_Ball
5-Regular Member
(To:Mahesh_Sharma)

@Mahesh_Sharma 

I was already successful in importing the assemblies in question using Creo 6.0.3.0 at a previous time.  I am unable to duplicate that process using the same Creo 6 install.

In Creo 4 install I am able to open lower level components and sub-assemblies just not the upper level assemblies.

This tells me it's not a software compatibility issue.   

@Michael_Ball

Any possibility of sharing the sample file. Also, is it specific to a assembly or with any data?

Michael_Ball
5-Regular Member

@Mahesh_Sharma 

Unfortunately, I am unable to share the data.  It seems to be specific NX native assemblies I cannot open.  Although I was able import them previously. 

@Michael_Ball 

Do you know the version of NX for assembly? 

Michael_Ball
5-Regular Member

@Mahesh_Sharma 

The native files are NX12

Hi, 

Are you dragging the NX file into the the graphics area to import the file by any chance? There's a weird bug in Creo when it comes to drag and drop. It seems to act the way you're describing if you drag and drop into an assembly. It might be worth going the long way to import your file.

File > Open  > Choose File Type > Open

Ty

Michael_Ball
5-Regular Member
(To:Tdaugherty)

@Tdaugherty 

* No, I am going to typical open icon in Creo main Ribbon

*I change Type to "NX File (*.prt)"

*Then choose the "Import" option

Good luck with that!  Before I got my job here I worked for Sierra Nevada Aerospace on the Dream Chaser, and I had to learn NX 8.5.  Our goal there was to convert to Creo, but I've been gone over 2 years now and I still don't think they've done it.

Top Tags