cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Inland 4-Way Plate Medium Pattern

fgallagher
4-Participant

Inland 4-Way Plate Medium Pattern

Does anybody out there happen to have a file showing the correct modeling of Inland 4-way plate medium pattern? I have looked all over the net trying to find something, with no luck. The Ryerson catalog that I have shows the correct dimenisons for the lug, but not on how to space the lugs from one another. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Inc_floor_plating_lug_pattern.JPG

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
fgallagher
4-Participant
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Okay, I was able to generate the pattern I was looking for, but now for some reason there part is partially transparent down one of the sides. Can anybody tell me why?

Plate_Transparency_Issue.JPG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

I would suggest contacting the manufacturer and asking for a pitch guide for the various plates.

fgallagher
4-Participant
(To:TomD.inPDX)

Okay, I was able to generate the pattern I was looking for, but now for some reason there part is partially transparent down one of the sides. Can anybody tell me why?

Plate_Transparency_Issue.JPG

Now that's new Actually, this is a long time problem with graphics. One of the settings in your feature is modifying the surface and at certain locations, it reverses the normal of the surface. If you took a different tact on your feature creation, it might work perfectly.

What did you find out on the pitch? Did you get an official pitch pattern from the manufacturer that you can share?

The shader needs to calculate which surface is closest. To do so for a complicated surface without taking a long time, it uses some lower precision math and some shortcuts, which in this case led it to conclude the rear surface in that area is nearer than the front one. Since there's no point in shading surfaces that are facing away from the viewer, the rear surface is not shaded. SInce the rear surface is in front, the front surface is not shaded.

When you zoom in enough the effect will go away. Sometimes as the part is turned or zoomed out the calculation will turn out differently and a surface will appear and disappear.

Not always... I've had holes that always showed a quilt filling the hole on one side of the solid no matter how I came at that hole including replacing it with a revolve. Export the part an dimport it again, and it would be fine.

On making the pattern on the plate - a less computation intensive way to handle it is with a bitmap texture. It will look nearly as good, but not chew up as much regen time. If you use it, make sure the option to store the texture with the model is included.

I've used this with keyboards - it's much faster to take a photo and add it to the model than to make all the key-caps and the lettering.

Only down-side is textures don't show in hidden line removed views, so engineering drawings will require a note to tell which side of the part gets the tread.

Top Tags