cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Intelligent Ellipses

TomD.inPDX
17-Peridot

Intelligent Ellipses

I am not a math geek in any sense of the word.  I do like having tools that have some intelligence behind them, however.

Unfortunately, when dealing with splines and ellipses in Creo sketches, I find these to be seriously unruly.

Splines in Creo is an acquired taste which I have yet to master.

In the event you need some control over your ellipses, please refer to the diagram for some guidance. 

This document depicts an easy way to locate the ellipse foci and two methods to obtain tangents to the ellipse so you can base further geometry on them.

The rightmost image is fairly obvious.  The leftmost image uses the foci and the midpoint to establish the tangent, resulting in a reliable the perpendicular vector as well.

Intelligent_Ellipses.JPG

I needed the perpendicular for machining on an elliptical surface.  I learned quickly just how unfriendly these exotic curves really are in Creo.

Here is hoping this makes life easier for others.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags