cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Is it better to model a piece with parametric 2.0 or Direct 2.0 ?

AlexandreChartr
1-Newbie

Is it better to model a piece with parametric 2.0 or Direct 2.0 ?

Hi . Since I try creo 2.0, I saw that we can create piece with parametric and with creo element 2.0. I wanna know whats the difference between these 2 programs (I know that with parametric, we can do COOL mechanism, but I talk about modeling ! ) I wanna know if its better to model a piece with parametric, or its better to create a piece with creo direct and import it into parametric after to do a mechanism !

Thank you again, your help is appreciated A LOT !

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
6 REPLIES 6

There is no "best". It has more to do with what your business model is. Either history based modeler (Parametric) or direct modeler have their own pro's and con's. When I had the option, I stayed with what I know, parametric. I have a client that uses Co-Create (Direct). It works fine for them.

As Antonius says, it depends.

My company works mostly with machined, metal components which have to fit together precisely and must be geometrically accurate (gearboxes and transmissions). For us, Parametric is clearly better because everything must be defined and dimensioned on a drawing.

If you are creating 'styled' surfaces that will be injection moulded and must look good or fit well in someone's hand, then perhaps Direct may be a better solution - although it is also possible to create these types of objects in Parametric.

You're using Creo Direct & Creo Elements/Direct interchangeably, they are not. Creo Elements/Direct and Creo Direct are not the same thing. Neat, eh? PTC has really made a confusing mess with their naming. Here's what I understand:

• Pro/E WF5 was renamed Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 when Creo was announced. There is not difference in the software.
  • The next version of what was Pro/E was Creo Parametric 1.0, then Creo parametric 2.0, etc. Creo Elements / Pro was a one release dead end.
  • CoCreate was renamed Creo Elements/Direct when Creo was announced. I'm not sure of the version number at that time.
  • The next version of what was CoCreate continues to be called Creo Elements / Direct.
  • Creo Direct was new as of Creo 1.0 and is a direct modeler only (CoCreate / Creo Elements/Direct can do drawings and assemblies too, I believe). Creo Direct is build on the same kernel or platform as Pro/E / Creo Parametric and files can be shared between the two. Creo Direct has limited functionality compared to Creo Elements/Direct and I don't think Creo Direct or Parametric can open Creo Elements/Direct files.

So three different packages:

• WF5 > Creo Elements/Pro > Creo Parametric
  • CoCreate > Creo Elements/Direct
  • Creo Direct (new)

Plus, there's a build in sort of direct modeling feature in Creo Parametric called 'Freestyle', I think, and a direct modeling extension for Creo Parametric called 'Flex Modeling', I think.

Clear as mud?

Which is better for you? As folks have said, it depends on what you want to do.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

There is a converter that allows Creo Direct and Creo Parametric to load Creo Elements/Direct files. It's provided as an option when installing Direct or Parametric. The various Elements/Direct file types are then offered in the File>Open file type drop-down list.

i think you forget few

Arbotext Isodraw moves to Creo Platform and became Creo Illustrate...

ProductView moves to Creo Platform and became Creo View...

Routed System Designer to Creo Schematics... dont know what happened at coding level... it still need XML interface to connect to Creo

Pro/Mechanica now becomes Creo Simulate.... Iam yet to understand the difference...

Layout inside Pro/ENGINEER is now seperated...

NB: I understood that... its not important for him. But just want to tell you that, the package is wider...

Thank you for all your answers

Top Tags