cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to redefine default coordinate system and change orientation in Creo Parametric

Highlighted

Re: Is it possible to redefine default coordinate system and change orientation in Creo Parametric

Unless it has changed you should be able to flip the direction of the the positive side of the planes and reorient the spin center to the new coordinate systems orientation.

Re: Creo Parametric 5.0 5.0.3.0 release (New version upload has coordinate system oriented Z AXIS u

This is based entirely on the start-part template that you use. Technically speaking, you could rename all of the datum planes to X, Y, and Z, or change any of the names from TOP, RIGHT and LEFT to whatever you want. 

So PTC may have updated the "out-of-the-box" start part to fix the naming convention (I haven't double checked it).. but there are a lot of template start parts you can pick from scattered across the installation (for example, there are some in "Common Files\templates" and others in "Common Files\creo_standards"). As for Z pointing "up" (on your screen), this may actually have to do with the "Default" rotation/view/orientation as well.

Personally, I typically like to create my own start parts anyway by first creating an "EMPTY" part (File->New->Part - uncheck "Use default template", select "Empty) and then creating an empty model with whatever datums I'd like. In this case, as I mentioned earlier, CS0 is considered a "default" csys (aka, no possible way to redefine it), white DTM1, DTM2, and DTM3 represent your X, Y, and Z planes respectively. From there, you'd also need to create your default views (FRONT, RIGHT, LEFT, BOTTOM, etc), so it can be sort of painful the first time around... but once you have it put together, it's a beautiful thing - (we even have some code that helps us build them automatically from scratch Smiley Wink )

new_start_part.JPG

Taking it one step further, I personally like to group those features, and make them "read only" so they don't contribute to the model regeneration, and so that they are out of the way from any new users who may want to try to modify them.... but that's a little outside of the scope of what we're talking about in this thread Smiley Happy

finished.JPG

Thanks, 

James Sullivan

President & Founder
CadActive Technologies - www.cadactive.com