cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Is there a round feature?

dplachinski
6-Contributor

Is there a round feature?

I put this out to the modeling community, but thought I would share here as well.

How do you manufacturing guys get around this? Is there any Pro/Wire guys in this group?

We come across this issue every once in awhile in our Wire EDM Department. The wire needs a straight line radius because the wire should not bend.

Is there a round feature that will give us a point to point constant round between these two primitives.

A cone being intersected by a tapered cube. 

primitives.JPG

When we add a constant round the resulting (long) edges of the round become bent.

radius_iso.JPG

When looking from the top they look like this.

radius_top.JPG

Here I created a boundary blend (yellow edges) between the upper cure and the lower cure (short edges of the round) to shot what result we are looking for. You can clearly see the bend in the long edges.

straight-line_rad.JPG

Is there a round feature that will give me the straight long edges of the round. Or, is this just impossible.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks Nick,

I think this may be the way to go. I have mocked up a few different versions of a stripper block and core insert for our wire department to look at for programming. If all goes well with the "bled" approach we will have a solution and maybe a new process to create wired inserts.

Thanks,

Dan

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hello Dan,

It seems feedback came only for your other post in modelling : Is There A Round Feature?
... which should be OK, as it is mainly about modelling the part exactly as it would be realistically cut.

Probably the "manufacturing guys" don't bother so much, if the modelled geometry cannot be created exactly as it would be machined. Machining is always a kind of approximation (I guess that's what tolerances are for).

Or all participants went for the other thread to avoid splitting discussions, which is a good idea and actually is why I put the link into my post.

Regards,

Gunter

Oddly enough, a wire EDM can make cones curved by tilting the wire.  This is almost easier to mill.

The draft on this sample will make wire EDM somewhat complex,  The change in orientation as you go around the part could be a programmer's nightmare f the software is not designed for it.

Why 2 posts?  Modeling and fabrication techniques are better covered in one post, specially since this has already come to the forefront.

If the wire EDM machine uses an X-Y-R stage, and the wires is angled, you will need this method:

Re: Is There A Round Feature?

Super-simple version attached.

Yes the feature you are looking for is a blend.  We do this every day with our Agie wires. Your can create same size radii for the top and bottom profiles or you can have different sizes and it will still create conical or wire friendly geometry.

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

Thanks Nick,

I think this may be the way to go. I have mocked up a few different versions of a stripper block and core insert for our wire department to look at for programming. If all goes well with the "bled" approach we will have a solution and maybe a new process to create wired inserts.

Thanks,

Dan

This method was preferred by our wire department. There is one drawback, but it doesn't seem to affect the Wire EDM programming. The drawback is, the created radius is not a true diametric shape ( you can not put an axis through it).

Top Tags