cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Just how do you chain curves in Sketch mode?

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Just how do you chain curves in Sketch mode?

Up to this point I've just struggled through picking entire profiles in sketch entity by entity. Surely there is a method to chain select curves in a sketch. For such an elementary thing I am a little embarrased to ask how to chain select entities, but I just haven't found the secret. Just how is this done?

I've looked through Creo's Quick Reference Card, but don't see an answer for this simple action.

The most logical way of selecting by chain would be through the Shift key because Control allows adding curve by curve. Shift key also is used for chain selecting surface chains.

Please help me solve this mystery.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John.Pryal
12-Amethyst
(To:pimm)

Hi Paul, i think you can do what you want to. In your active sketch, click the fly out under Select, here you will see one by one, chain, all geometry. Select chain, pick one entity in your sketch, & all chainable entities highlite. Hope this helps.

Capture.JPG

John

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Similarly, it seems like when you pick Project and select Chain, the result is a loop, versus the previous From-To option. Unless there are clicks I am missing.

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:Inoram)

Matt,

I didn't realize you could chain select projected edges. This will certainly come in handy.

I still would like to be able to chain select the curves themselves after they are brought into a sketch. There has to be a way.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Paul,

please upload .prt file to enable me to understand your situation.

Martin Hanak

Martin Hanák
pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:MartinHanak)

Martin,

I wouldn't be able to describe this better by uploading a file. This situation is duplicated with every sketch that we create. The problem situation is that I just want to chain select the many entities that either are in an open or closed loop.

Perhaps there is a mouse keyboard combination that we are missing, but anything we've tried doesn't work. As with anything else in Creo I'm thinking that once we know how to do it, it will at that point be easy.

I'll attach a picture of an easy sketch that I created on the fly. I've picked the 1st entity and I would expect some kind of pop up option to bring up the chain select or perhaps just pick the entity and be able to chain this by selecting SHIFT. With our other CAD system we select SHIFT and LEFT CLICK at the same time which we've already ruled out in Creo.

TryToChain.jpg

TomU
23-Emerald IV

I'm 99% sure you cannot chain select in sketcher. I'm not really sure why you'd even want to... What is your specific use case?

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:TomU)

The reason in this application that I need to select all the chainable entities is because I want to mirror these entities.

Sometimes I need to copy the chainable entities in a sketch. Sometimes I just want to move the entities.

In what I do it is very important to be able to move numerous entities within sketch. This is easy to accomplish in our other CAD system. I'm not sure why this would be different with Creo.

Just trying to get from point A to point B in the quickest way. It certainly isn't by single picking entities with the CONTROL button; there has to be a better way.

TomU
23-Emerald IV

Is window selecting not an option in your specifc application?

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Sometimes window selecting is helpful; other times when you have to dodge in and out of profiles it would be a lot easier to chain select the entities.

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Hi Paul, i think you can do what you want to. In your active sketch, click the fly out under Select, here you will see one by one, chain, all geometry. Select chain, pick one entity in your sketch, & all chainable entities highlite. Hope this helps.

Capture.JPG

John

Just checked, this functionality is in Creo/elements pro5 too. Again, with an active sketch, under the edit tab, right at the bottom, select has a fly out, there you have the possibility of selecting one by one, chain etc.

John

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:John.Pryal)

Awesome!

Thank you John, that's exactly what we've been looking for but didn't realize was there.

Now we'll just have to figure out how to assign this to a hot key.

Thanks again!

Inoram
13-Aquamarine

Tom Uminn wrote:

I'm 99% sure you cannot chain select in sketcher. I'm not really sure why you'd even want to... What is your specific use case?

And if you want to convert to construction.

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:Inoram)

Very cool. Learn something new every day.

pimm
14-Alexandrite

That's what I say every day I use Creo.

The way things are layed out in Creo is counter intuitive, but for some reason when things get explained it "generally" makes perfect sense.

Top Tags