cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Large Perf Patterns

scott_rockwell
5-Regular Member

Large Perf Patterns

I need to create a large pattern of cuts in flat sheet stock.

I used a technique many years ago (pre-WF) that I can not recreate.

I think it goes like this.

1) Create a flat surface that will cover the affected area, just on one
surface of the sheet stock. (labeled a "Surface" in the model tree)

2) Create a surface that is the profile of the cut and starts on one
surface of the sheet stock and ends on the other.

3) Pattern #2 as desired. All members must be inside the perimeter of
#1.

4) Surface merge #1 with #2

5) Reference Pattern #4

6) Create a cut using #5.

This regenerates very quickly.

But I can't for the life of me recreate it in WF2.0.

Can anyone help?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
9 REPLIES 9

Use the seed surface and boundary tool to copy/paste all of the surfaces. You can then pattern the resulting copied surface feature without any merge. Create a solidify cut and reference pattern that cut. (Can be accomplished with protrusions also) In Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 and Creo 1.0 this is now all inclusive in the Geometry Pattern command.

Doug,

With this method, do you select the solid part surfacesbefore the first cut is placed or after? If after, is the cut hole's surfaces the only surfaces selected?

Does this method work well on flowing surfaces as well?

I haven't done those type of pattern cuts that way. A couple months back I had to create some expandedmetal guards and through a lot of trials I found the best and quickest (for file size and regenerations) was to create a single line consisting of a number of the diamond shaped cuts per row in one feature and then do a second cut forthe next line and so on for a few rows then group those and pattern the group.

Hi
I have come against my first large scale pattern. The pattern is a .115 sq hole, 51 horizontal and 108 vertical.
When I laid it out it takes an hour to regenerate. Is there another way to show it in an assembly that is faster to regenerate.

Thanx in advance

Paul Adams
Mechanical Designer
Sonics & Materials, Inc
53 Church Hill Rd.
Newtown, Ct 06470

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:scott_rockwell)

This is a little older, but the technique is still valid. Definitely worth the watch.

Have you change the pattern settings from "general" to "Identical". This will be the first quick and easy improvement.

Bill Chapman
Email: -<">mailto:->
Tel: 708-496-3100 | Cell: 708-205-5705

[cid:image001.jpg@01D019F1.00254680]

Did you try making the base feature (.115 sq hole) as a surface and then patterning the surface 51 x 108 and then merging the quilts together along with a fill surface. Then use the new quilt to make a cut feature (solidify, remove)?

Bob Schwerdlin
Sr. Design Engineer
Dukane Corp.
2900 Dukane Dr.
St. Charles, IL 60174 USA
630-679-1941 direct
-
www.dukane.com/us

If you are using Creo the geometry pattern should be much faster.

[cid:image002.png@01D01A10.B7E54800]
Bill Chapman
Email: -<">mailto:->
Tel: 708-496-3100 | Cell: 708-205-5705

[cid:image003.jpg@01D01A10.B7E54800]

You can also do a pattern of a pattern with geometry patterns.

Rob Reifsnyder
Mechanical Design Engineer/ Producibility Engineer / Components Engineer / Pro/E SME / Pro/E Librarian
[LM_Logo_Tag_RGB_NoR_r06]
Top Tags