Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layers and Rules... Rule base layers.

Garnet

Layers and Rules... Rule base layers.

I am working to try and improve my companies Creo start parts and configuration.  One thing that annoys me terribly is the terrible Layer Scheme.  Engineers don't even bother using layers and the result is that I have to work with a spaghetti mess of datum planes, axes, and csys.  The layers are set by configuration option instead of by rules and I believe if they were set up by rules and easy to understand and use they would be much more manageable.

Does anyone have any Creo Parts with Layer Rules they would like to share for ideas?  I remember working for a company that had an excellent rules scheme for layers.  I know there is no absolute best way for setting layer rules, but I would like to see some examples from the community to help make rules that are sensible and easy to understand.

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Layers and Rules... Rule base layers.

I don't know that our layers and rules are the best, but we are strongly encouraged to stick to the standard layers found in the start parts and the layers file.  As far as rules, I have suggested we change our rules to look by feature as this will hide the feature in the tree, allowing it to be shown from the model tree without unhiding it in the layer tree.  He is a snapshot of our layers and a rule.

rules.jpg

Creo is an endless adventure: Always more to learn.

"Default" layers are the suck.  Rules-based layers are the way to go.  The rules are a little quirky and sometimes don't work as they should, but you can get them to do a lot of neat things.  If they'd fix the bugs and make it possible to to true conditional statements for the rules, they'd be a lot better, but still they're pretty effective.  ALSO, the awesome thing about them is that you can fix parts that don't have the proper layer structure.  See the attached presentation I found here many years ago.  This helped me set up the layer structure I use.

Best of luck!

A downside to rule based layers which is not mentioned in the presentation is that they can be a performance hit for large assemblies.

We use rule based layers as well but ours are very simple. It would be prudent to do some testing on your end to make sure that there isn't a significant impact if you implement them.

I'd imagine if they were extremely large assemblies it MIGHT be possible.  So far I haven't seen a performance hit that I could directly attribute to a rules-based layer scheme vs a default layer scheme vs. a dumb layer scheme.  Do you have any back-to-back-to back testing data to support this?  Are you claiming it's a one-time hit when loading the file or are you saying that it slows the assembly down ALL the time?  I wouldn't think it would be a major hit as I would guess that once the object has been evaluated per the rules and put on a layer, Creo doesn't have to evaluate it again..and again....though I can't say I know the code well enough to say that for a fact.  I wouldn't think every object would be evaluated all the time in real time, which would slow things down.  I'd say your best performance enhancer for large assemblies would be using Simplified Reps, and LOD's, and that your performance hit (if any) from rules-based layers would pale in comparison to not using reps and LOD's.