cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Learning Creo

ptc-5223267
1-Newbie

Learning Creo

Being new to Creo, and knowing Solidworks and Inventor is there a good Manual or book that can get me up to speed with the basics of Creo?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PTC went through a rebranding and it was a bit muddy for a bit.

Proe became Creo Parametric after Proe Wildfire 5.0 (WF5). However, PTC renamed WF5 'Creo Elements/Pro 5.0' (I call it CEP5). No change in software. It is not the same, however, as Creo 1.0 or Creo 2.0. These both came after WF5/CEP5.

The interface changed significantly from WF5/CEP5 to Creo Parametric 1.0. I'd look for a book based on WF5/CEP5.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
David_M
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-5223267)

PTC Learning Exchange is worth a look.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:David_M)

May also help "Demos & Tech Tips" and "Creo Resources" (PTC Academic Program):

http://www.ptc.com/products/tutorials/index.htm

http://www.ptc.com/company/community/schools/projects.htm#creo

Not sure if this matters or not but we use CREO Elements/Pro, does the basics change from the different names?

PTC went through a rebranding and it was a bit muddy for a bit.

Proe became Creo Parametric after Proe Wildfire 5.0 (WF5). However, PTC renamed WF5 'Creo Elements/Pro 5.0' (I call it CEP5). No change in software. It is not the same, however, as Creo 1.0 or Creo 2.0. These both came after WF5/CEP5.

The interface changed significantly from WF5/CEP5 to Creo Parametric 1.0. I'd look for a book based on WF5/CEP5.

--
LinkedIn

Mike Brattoli of Moen teaches a class at a NE Ohio community college and his book is available on Lulu. I'm not super familiar with the book, but Mike's very experienced and I'd have high expectations based on knowing him.

In coming from SW perspective (I have no Inventor experience), here are a couple of things to keep in mind.

SW is rather forgiving about reference selection, almost encouraging the use of the nearest or most convenient edge when sketching etc. If some thing fails, you delete and re-sketch and things tend to work, mostly. Failures when the model changes are somewhat frequent, but fairly easy to resolve.

In Creo, on the other hand, references are far more important and more persistent. You'll note that Creo will tell you the unique ref ID for each thing you select (edge, vertex, curve, etc.) where SW always simply numbered them as you picked them. Creo rewards deliberate and thoughtful reference choices (SW does not seem to). If you delete and re-sketch, you will almost assuredly create more failures. You want to try to pick the oldest references available (for example, if you have a choice between the edge of a surface or the curve it was built from, pick the curve) try to maintain them as you correct failures. Paying attention to references in Creo will be painful at first, but in the long run you will be rewarded with far fewer failures than SW.

When sketching, you want to constrain your sketch entities to surfaces whenever possible, not edges. Surfaces are more stable references. In SW you cannot constrain to surfaces in sketcher (and many Proe/Creo tutorials gloss over this) so this is an important nuance you would not likely have figured out on your own.

--
LinkedIn

Just saw you post indicating you'll be on WF5. Mike has a WF5 version of his book too.

--
LinkedIn

So just so I understand..Wildfire 5.0 is the same as CREO Elements/Pro. But not the same as CREO 1.0 or 2.0.

Wow, this is why I stuck with Inventor...lol..

I have always thought that Pro-E was a great tool for complex and high precision designs, but for simple sheet metal and basic modeling / Assembly building it is a bit over complicated.

But hey if I have the chance to learn it for free from Employer I am up for it.

Yes and no.

WF5 = CEP5. Same software, different name.

Creo Parametric 1.0 is essentially WF6 with a different name. It's not completely new, unrelated software, it's the next version. It just changed names as well as version numbers. It did get a completely revamped interface, so any books based on Creo Parametric 1.0 or Creo Parametric 2.0 will not apply to WF5/CEP5.

It is confusing and I haven't even gone into the other kinds of Creo besides Creo Parametric.

--
LinkedIn

I downloaded this File, is it a good start / Ref manual for CREO Elements/PRO?

That is a very popular reference, Steven. Enjoy! ...and welcome to the forum

The general concepts will apply, but the interface will be quite different.

--
LinkedIn

Doug,

Do you know of a pdf or manual I can download to help learn the layout and tool.

My Company doesnt have anything here and I really dont want to Learn from Bill who learned from Tom who learned from Joe...I want to know what Im doing

Steven,

I recently came from Solidworks also. Not having any formal training, I find Creo to be very frustrating and overwhelming. Cadquest.com offers some books on Creo and WF5. I think they are training/study guides. I'm leaning on Basic Design, Intermediate Design, and Detail Drawing books.

Anyone I've talked to recommends getting formal PTC training. If you have the option, go.

Matt

Thanks Matt,

I have tried Pro-E before and thought it was like going from NY to Miami via Calif.

Sure you will get where your going but man is it ever the LONG way to go...

I see what you mean. It's difficult to get used to one package adn have to work on another. I've been on Proe for 17 years, SW drives me nuts. Once I get in the SW method I can work pretty well, but I mostly don't like it.

To follow your analogy, to me SW is like driving from NY to Miami through Atlanta. Then, when you need to from the west side of Miami to the east, you have to go through Atlanta again and you have to every time you want to go someplace else.

I haven't looked for tutorials in a long time. At the learning exchange link that Vladimir posted above there is a section for WF5 as well:

http://learningexchange.ptc.com/tutorials/by_sub_product/ptc-creo-elements-pro-pro-engineer/sub_product_id:1

--
LinkedIn

I worked at a Autodesk Reseller and was an Instuctor for Inventor. What I found is Solidworks users picked up Inventor really quick, Its basically the same just different icons for same things. Enviroments are similar extude is an extrude drawing is drawing both are point and click software.

Pro-E is a totally different animal more steps to complete the single click in those other two. Like I said for complex modeling Pro-E is great because it gives you more control of the details at every level ...but 75% of modeling doesnt require that amount of attention to detail.. top front and side view of an orange isnt to difficult to model..and since most (not all) parts are simple to model maybe I just got spoiled learning from Autodesk how to use Inventor and I'm trying to learn from a not expert Pro-E user...

Steven,

I've found Solidworks to be so much more feature rich compared to Creo. It's dissapointing to not be able to do things the simple way I'm used to. I know the features are probably in Creo, they're just not in my face as they were in SW. My biggest gripe with Creo is the draft feature. I want to be able to create drafts more than 30°.

Good luck.

Matt

Top Tags