cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Manually generated instances "without" family table

Machinist
10-Marble

Manually generated instances "without" family table

Hi

I'm currently working on modeling parts for the railway. There is a big number of poles that needed to be modeled. I'm looking for a clear, structured way to generate instances of the pole, preferably without making a "standard" family table.

[context] Mind you, there are 40 types of beams, 20 different lengths, around 10 different drilling sets and each drilling set has a multitude of different configurations. In theory, based on the drawings, there are around 30 trillion different poles (thanks government). In practice I'm guessing at least 0.1% of the poles are realistically used. [context]

Ideally, I'm looking for a "family table system" that asks which features must be included when importing the pole part in an assembly, instead of choosing a family member from the list. Basically:

1. have assembly in active window

2. assemble and open the pole part in assembly

3. window appears: prompt for profile type and select one: HEB/HEA/HEM

4. window appears: prompt for profile size and select one: 140/.../450

X. window appears: prompt for drilling type Y and select one: configuration1/configuration2/.../NO

Would a multilevel family table be a viable option for that many instances? Are there any other options?

1 REPLY 1

@Machinist wrote:

Hi

I'm currently working on modeling parts for the railway. There is a big number of poles that needed to be modeled. I'm looking for a clear, structured way to generate instances of the pole, preferably without making a "standard" family table.

[context] Mind you, there are 40 types of beams, 20 different lengths, around 10 different drilling sets and each drilling set has a multitude of different configurations. In theory, based on the drawings, there are around 30 trillion different poles (thanks government). In practice I'm guessing at least 0.1% of the poles are realistically used. [context]

Ideally, I'm looking for a "family table system" that asks which features must be included when importing the pole part in an assembly, instead of choosing a family member from the list. Basically:

1. have assembly in active window

2. assemble and open the pole part in assembly

3. window appears: prompt for profile type and select one: HEB/HEA/HEM

4. window appears: prompt for profile size and select one: 140/.../450

X. window appears: prompt for drilling type Y and select one: configuration1/configuration2/.../NO

Would a multilevel family table be a viable option for that many instances? Are there any other options?

Hi,

ideal solution for you is TOOLKIT application - part generator. You will prepare template models, UDF features, data lists ... and developer will implement steps you described.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags