cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Mass Renaming

MDrake
6-Contributor

Mass Renaming

I have been looking around on the forums and haven't found a clear answer to this question.  I have over 100 assemblies with a component I would like to rename.  The best answer I have seen is to open all the assemblies and then rename the file.  I don't believe my computer could handle that.  I have tried using "retrieve missing component" but Creo Parametric 4 tells me that the model is not the same, despite only the file name changing.

Is there a way I can mass rename this component?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:MDrake)

The only way I've been able to do this is horrible, but it has worked. The "algorithm" I used is as follows:

(1) Load as many assemblies as I can with the wrong named component.

(2) Rename the wrong name to the right one.

(3) Save all of the assemblies currently in memory, closing them as I go.

(4) With just the now right named component still in memory, clear all the other (saved) assemblies out of memory.

(5) Rename the now right named component back to the wrong name.

(6) Open the next batch of assemblies.

(7) Repeat steps (2) to (4).

(8) If there still more assemblies to fix, repeat steps (5) and (6).

(9) Once all the assemblies are fixed, leave the trouble component with the "right" name.

It's a tedious process, but hopefully one you'll only have to do once. Also, not really something you can do partially. You have to have the time and access to hit ALL the assemblies or you might have troubles.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
bchen
18-Opal

Hi @MDrake

I believe the best way is rename it in Windchill if you have it.

Thanks & BR!

Chen Bin

KenFarley
21-Topaz I

The only way I've been able to do this is horrible, but it has worked. The "algorithm" I used is as follows:

(1) Load as many assemblies as I can with the wrong named component.

(2) Rename the wrong name to the right one.

(3) Save all of the assemblies currently in memory, closing them as I go.

(4) With just the now right named component still in memory, clear all the other (saved) assemblies out of memory.

(5) Rename the now right named component back to the wrong name.

(6) Open the next batch of assemblies.

(7) Repeat steps (2) to (4).

(8) If there still more assemblies to fix, repeat steps (5) and (6).

(9) Once all the assemblies are fixed, leave the trouble component with the "right" name.

It's a tedious process, but hopefully one you'll only have to do once. Also, not really something you can do partially. You have to have the time and access to hit ALL the assemblies or you might have troubles.

Patriot_1776
22-Sapphire II

As mentioned, Windchill (or similar) is the only way to easily and effectively do this.

If you HAVE to do it the other way, load all the assemblies, but create a Simplied Rep in ALL of them where ONLY the component you want to rename is loaded as a "Master" rep.  As you do this to each assembly you load, do an "Erase Not Displayed" to clear space in RAM for all these assemblies.  This way your PC MIGHT be able to handle it.  Then do your rename and save them all.

IMO, this is THE reason to have a vaulting system.

Top Tags