cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Mass calculation using different density value

JonathanHodgson
11-Garnet

Mass calculation using different density value

A colleague is struggling to make some parts report the correct mass. This appears to be because, no matter what settings or parameters we change, the mass properties report ignores the material density, or an assigned density, and continues to use a value of around 0.067 kg/mm^3 (which, for those of you not familiar with that unit set, means that our 2 foot long bit of ~5/8" pipe has a mass of around 10 ton(ne)s).

We've tried using Define Properties by 'Geometry and Density' as well as 'Geometry and Parameters', and setting the density value in that window, by assigning a material, and by changing the parameters MP_DENSITY and PRO_MP_DENSITY directly. Nothing seems to take effect.

The part was originally created by a client, and they have some macros to assign material properties - this may or may not be relevant.

Any clues, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You mention that your pipe weights around 10 tons. Was it created using piping? If so, then it ignores the material properties set this way and instead uses the weight/length in the Line Stock when you redefine it.Capture.JPG

BTW, watch the units that you might get from suppliers, they might be Kg/meter but remember your model units.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Hi,

is the following option set in your config.pro file ?

mass_property_calculate automatic

Martin Hanák

Yes, at least when I test it on my computer; and in any case, this should not affect the results shown in Analysis -> Mass Properties as I believe they are updated directly.

We've had users who make the mistake of adding the mass parameter in the model tree of an assembly and assuming that it is reporting mass in the units of the assembly. I suggest not to use the model tree display of mass but use the mass properties or go to file- prepare-model properties-change- then generate report.

Open the parts individually and under file-prepare-model properties verify units, density and the "calcuation source" which should be "geometry and density" if you want the part geometry to drive your mass.

Hi Stephen,

We're working at the part level here.

wrong-density-1.png

Note that density × volume != mass even in this window

wrong-density-2.png

You mention that your pipe weights around 10 tons. Was it created using piping? If so, then it ignores the material properties set this way and instead uses the weight/length in the Line Stock when you redefine it.Capture.JPG

BTW, watch the units that you might get from suppliers, they might be Kg/meter but remember your model units.

Thanks, it was indeed created using Piping and my colleague reports that using the weight/length parameter has fixed it.

Much appreciated - I haven't used Piping so wasn't aware of that quirk.

Top Tags