cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Material Parameters within a note

bwudtke
10-Marble

Material Parameters within a note

Is it possible to reference the PTC_MATERIAL_DESCRIPTION within a note.... this parameter is located within the assigned material. It works if i grab it within a table on the drawing, BUT is it possible to do it within a note... if it is, what is the procedure to do so.

If someone could please help me with this that would be great, this would benifit, right now we are creating a parameter called &material.... but it is not related to the designated material, so when someone changes the material of the part, the material note doesnt updated, it renames the same.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DHLewis
11-Garnet
(To:bwudtke)

Thank you guys!

I was just searching PTC KB for a keyword and found a much better solution.

Set the Relation in your model to

MATERIAL=material_param("PTC_MATERIAL_DESCRIPTION")

and that will assign the description to the currently active material.

It is absolutely amazing that this was not pointed out earlier in my many tech support calls to PTC.

You can find the detailed solution at:

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS44055

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Have you tried &ptc_material_description in the note? That works with other parameters. You'll need to have a space before and after unless you use the { } brackets.

That does not work... it works within a table when i do a report parameter though! But I want it on a note.

Dale_Rosema
23-Emerald III

Maybe I am looking at the wrong thing, but here it is in a note for me.

Matl_name.jpg

The left shows AL6061, the text box on the right shows &ptc_material_name.

Thanks, Dale

DHLewis
11-Garnet

Brock,

&ptc_material_description must have a value appended to the end of it (i.e. &ptc_material_description:mtrl_61. This number is assigned when you add a material to the model. To overcome this I have a relation in the model that defines MATERIAL=ptc_material_desc... then use &MATERIAL in the note or other places.

I had asked PTC for the variable to point to the default assigned material to the part; however, they stated it is functioning as designed, since it is possible to have multiple materials in a model. So in the interim there are a lot of steps to create the relation.

bwudtke
10-Marble
(To:DHLewis)

Thanks,

So this is possible to do within a note, its just that when you set the relation... it goes to that individual material. So I would still have to change the relation if i changed the material.

Is it possible to read the ASSIGNED material description?? How would we make a relation for that if it is possible?

Hello Brock.

There is a small distinction between relations and parameters. You want to look at the parts material parameters in order to build relations (or use them directly). I haven't looked carefully at the assigned material parameters, but this should remain updated with the part at all times once "assigned". Changing this should update wherever this parameter is used, including relations.

If i were to use &ptc_material_description:mtrl_61 for example if i wanted to change the material to mtrl_59... is there a way maybe through relations that I could read the assigned? Or is this just forgiving... It works in a table configuration... if i were to change the material, and had reported the material description parameter... it would automatically update the table to the correct description

This is where I get lost in how Creo manages linked data. If the table does it without rebuilding the table, then any place you use the parameter should work as well. Certainly worth a test or two.

You are aware of how to use the relation dialog to assign parameters to relations, right? Clicking the parameters icon and finding the specific parameter you want to use and selecting it to add to relations?

I am suggesting using the relation method only in that this parameter name should not change where the parameter FID might as you are noting in your previous post.

I have one foot out the door at the moment, but I can test this later if you need furtheer help. Let us know what you find.

I am familiar with relations, I guess I just wasn't sure what should be written for the relation.

Thanks,

Brock

Yes, that is why it is easiest to use the parameter dialog in the relations dialog. It lets you find and select the relation, and it will automatically tie it to the right FID.

This almost deserves a video, huh

DHLewis
11-Garnet

No there is no way to do this. This is what I asked PTC to provide but have not yet submitted an Idea request for this, as they were unwilling to see this as a bug. Even though it works this way for the ptc_material_name.

Are you saying that a change in material requires a new relation with a different parameter?

I've tried to make the relation... it seems it still grabs that individual material, not the assigned one. Yeah, it works for &ptc_material_name why not the material parameters too?? This could be beneficial for not only the description but everything else inside of the material.

Brock

DHLewis
11-Garnet

Thank you guys!

I was just searching PTC KB for a keyword and found a much better solution.

Set the Relation in your model to

MATERIAL=material_param("PTC_MATERIAL_DESCRIPTION")

and that will assign the description to the currently active material.

It is absolutely amazing that this was not pointed out earlier in my many tech support calls to PTC.

You can find the detailed solution at:

https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS44055

Top Tags