cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Material orientation setup

rperez-5
1-Newbie

Material orientation setup

I am trying to figure out how to use the material orientation menu on creo parametric 2.0. I created a new orientation and selected my coord. system but I don't understand what the 1, 2, 3, X, Y, Z and "rotate about" are for. I would like my material to be oriented along the X axis. can someone help me set this up?

Thanks

Randy

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
ehaenen
4-Participant
(To:rperez-5)

Hi Randy

This contraption is just meant for people that accidentally define their material coordinate system in the wrong direction.

If you want your material to be oriented along the x-direction, the "1"direction must be the local x-direction as in this picture. If you happen to want the 1-direction to coincide with the local z, feel free to change the selection.

pict1.JPGpict1b.JPGpict2.JPG

Hope this helps

Erik

Thanks Erik. I have the material orientation correct but I got a message saying orientation is ignored for isotropic material. Would using the same young's modulus for E1, E2, and E3 give me accurate results? I only have a modulus of 10400 ksi for my material.

Randy

ehaenen
4-Participant
(To:rperez-5)

Hi Randy

If you do that, you don't have to do that. To be more clear, if it is correct that E1=E2=E3, than the orientation doesn't matter and you can use isotropic material anbd you don't need a material coordinate system. In  stead, you can use that coordinate system to show stresses (σxx , σyy, σzz   ) where x and y and z are according to that coordinate system.

Erik

Thanks for your help on this Erik.

Randy

Top Tags