cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Materials

acoates
1-Newbie

Materials

Hi.

Is it true that when you assign a material from the material library (a nice, centralized location from which to control you business's material requirements) they decouple and remain local to the part (decentralized, uncontrolled etc. etc.)? If so, how can I retain the link please?

Many thanks,

Andy

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:acoates)

There is no parametric link between the model and the file the information was copied from.

If you need this you will have to create your own software to update the values.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Andy,

I understand your situation, Let consider this I got a part from parts library ( Bolt , nut, etc... ) and I have to change some dimensions if I change the dimensions it shouldn't reflect to my parts library. Like this once you assigned material for a part ,the link between part and the material library will get disconnected.

I hope you got my point.

Mani

Hi Mani,

Thanks for that: I understand. In that situation I would modify the relevant property (dimension, Young's modulus, description etc) and save the modification as a new library component that I could then reuse elsewhere. Breaking the link makes no sense to me at all, I'm afraid. I'm hoping that somebody out there has created a workaround!

Andy

Quick nudge: does anybody have a method by which the link to the central material file can be maintained please?

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:acoates)

There is no parametric link between the model and the file the information was copied from.

If you need this you will have to create your own software to update the values.

*Sigh*

Thanks for the confirmation, David. Yet another thing to keep me evaluating different software.

I have to agree with others - it sounds like a slightly odd requirement.

If there is a parametric link, then if you make a change to the material file, it immediately affects an unknown number (hundreds? thousands?) of released drawings, all of which now need to be identified and up-issued, with new versions sent to suppliers, management of parts delivered or in stock to the previous issue, etc...

Plus, how often do the properties of steel (or whichever material) change?

If you reference a standard in a material description and the standard updates. That was why I initially enquired, but I am trying to close that can of worms using a different method anyway.

That's the main advantage to linking to a central place - if there is an error in the material description or a change that needs to be made the link allows identifying all the affected parts. If the change doesn't affect the related items there's no reason to reissue, but if it does, then it's better than trying to pick through all the databases to change them one at a time. It's unlikely that a fundamental error will be made over the long term; but it is probable that additional characteristics will be added to the material description over time or that they will be tweaked - steel density changes a little depending on alloy, but someone may rough in a default during the initial design and that value needs to be more accurate during detailed analysis.

Top Tags