cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure Tool - Dual Dimensions

SOLVED
Highlighted

Re: Measure Tool - Dual Dimensions

Multi-body modeling isn't needed, or from my use of it in NX 8.5, even an advantage.  I can use quilts in Creo and get the same result without the downsides I've seen in NX.  Yeah, ok, if the flavor of the month is now multi-body, fine, add it.  I'm more interested in volume sweeps, REAL capability in that area, not the limited capability in S/W.

In another thread I posted models that S/W simply COULDN'T create when I was evaluating it.  Yawn.

Most of the people that I've run into that oppose multi-body modeling simply don't understand it.  I've converted a few people who now agree with me that it's one of SolidWorks most powerful tools, especially in their Weldments environment (now called Structural).

Although I agree with you that SolidWorks has limited abilities, so does Creo.  And where SolidWorks is limited, few of those limits are huge in my opinion.  In other words, I have been able for around 20 years to do over 99% of what I need to do with SolidWorks.  Very rarely have I had to "cheat" the geometry to get what I want or "close enough".  My biggest complaint is that they can't handle the ZTG coming out of Pro and other CAD.  Importing those files is hell.

Considering some of the features that you personally want, you would have to admit that some of the examples you gave are somewhat esoteric or can be achieved through slightly less-convenient processes.  Do you really think most Creo users draw stuff like that? 

In some cases, realize that in SolidWorks, if you can draw a 3D sketch (something I can't find in Creo, is it there??), then you can create complex sweeps quite often, and if it's hard to sketch in 3D but you can define it mathematically, then you can do a table or equation driven 3D sketch and get the crazy profile you are looking for.

I've seen hundreds of thousands of files generated in Pro and Creo and really never saw anything like the examples you gave.

So as far as software functionality goes, yes, I would like to be able to generate the geometry I desire, but overall I want the experience to be easy.  I don't want to feel tortured to create the most basic designs.  In the past, I have hired ex-Pro users to use SolidWorks.  They were amazed at how prolific I was with such an "inadequate" software.

I would love to see any examples you can give about using quilts instead of multibody.  I'm looking at parts that represent welded assemblies, for example, which may include a lot of sheetmetal, structural shapes, and a few machined parts here and there.  And then to be able to automatically generate a cut-list and individual body details on a drawing, all from the part environment so there are no mates to haul around at the assembly level and also no out-of-context relationships that can break, priceless.  Also to be able to do Boolean is quite often very convenient.

SolidWorks has a library of structural shapes that can be used in the Weldments feature, I'm sure Creo has this as well, but I can do it all in a part with SolidWorks and avoid mates.  I hear Creo uses the assembly mode for Weldments.  Some SolidWorks users have asked for this option...to be able to do weldments as an assembly.  So why not have the option in SolidWorks to do weldments in a part or assembly?  And I ask also, why not in Creo?

The point is that unless there is one and only one perfect way to do something, shouldn't the user be allowed to choose?

Show me some examples, I'm very interested.

Highlighted

"The point is that unless there is one and only one perfect way to do something, shouldn't the user be allowed to choose?"

This flexibility comes at a cost to software designs in providing the options and the configuration controls to set up a multi-design method.

One of the statements we used to say about Unigraphics was:

What is the best thing about UG? The multiple ways to do things.

What is the worst thing about UG/ The multiple ways to do things.

And that was used inside the development team of UG, too. I have had many friends who worked there when I used UG for 20 years.

Highlighted

And he links in a video on YouTube of a design done not in SolidWorks or Creo, but in Siemens NX.

Highlighted

Exactly, maybe read my comment about SolidWorks (OR ANY of the mainstream CAD systems for that matter) not being able to do this despite insane annual revenue.

We've been using mouse and keyboard for forty years and none of you have a problem with that?

Announcements
Message from Brian Thompson (PTC General Manager and DVP) regarding Creo Business Continuity plans.