cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Mirroring copy geom question

pimm
14-Alexandrite

Mirroring copy geom question

I have started working in a part model started by an outside individual in Creo.

In the model tree I see that he has done a mirror of a copy geometry feature.  One of the things that I don't like about Creo is that a copy is generated, even if the original is hidden.

My question is; if the original geometry is still in the model (in it's hidden state) does this add any corruption to someone who would be NC programming or other potential issues?

Sometimes our models get exported as an IGES and sometimes it gets passed on in it's Creo format.

I really wish the mirror command didn't automatically assume "copy".  I know I could also use remove face to remove the original geometry.

Just for the sake of ease of use however I am wondering whether it would be safe to just leave the original geometry in the model in it's hidden state.  In our former software I know that we couldn't get away with this.

2 REPLIES 2
rrich-2
1-Newbie
(To:pimm)

If you do not want the hidden copy then you must mirror with features then you will see the entire model tree and the last feature will be the mirror.  You can then edit any early features as if it were a standard part. Or you may add new features after the mirror.

mirror.jpg

pimm
14-Alexandrite
(To:rrich-2)

Ron,

The type of mirror I am applying is within a part model not done as a Save As.

I double checked what the outside of part mirror dialog looks like and the Geometry with features option was greyed out for some reason.  Not that an external mirror would be helpful in this instance, but perhaps some time this may prove helpful.  We have in the past tried the external mirror and have discovered that you can't determine the direction of which the mirror is applied so in most cases this doesn't even work for us.

I guess for now I am wondering whether the hidden non-mirrored instance of copy geom can lead to any corruption in a part model.  I haven't seen it yet, but having the hidden instance in the model makes me nervous.

Top Tags