cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Model-Based Definition

JWayman
1-Newbie

Model-Based Definition

Hello,
I wonder, is there a way to create an annotation from the dimensons of a
feature, directly? I know I can create dimensions in the annotation UI, but
I am looking at the equivalent of shown dims in the part. I am sure there
must be an easy way, but can I find it?

Regards,

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
5 REPLIES 5

Hi John,

If you are running Wildfire 4.0 or Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 you can create
driving dimension annotation elements by selecting a feature and
clicking the right-mouse-button menu and using the command "Create
Driving Dimension AE". Alternatively you can edit the feature first and
then select an individual dimension and select RMB > Create Driving
Dimension AE. You will need to verify that the active annotation
orientation is valid for that dimension.

In Creo 1.0, go to the Annotate tab and then select the Show Annotations
tool and pick the feature you'd like to create dimensions for. This
workflow is aligned with the workflow for showing model dimensions in a
2D drawing.

Regards,

Raphael

Sorry, forgot to specify, we are using WF2.

Thanks,

John

_____ 
mlocascio
4-Participant
(To:JWayman)

Mr. John Wayman,

What type of "annotation" are you looking for? Can you be a bit more
specific?

Michael P. Locascio

Anyone out there using model based definition? Either exclusively 3-D or a combo of 2D and 3D? We are looking into it and I have a few questions:

* How do you transfer data to vendors and retain the annotations?

* How do you define standard tolerances for features that are not dimensioned?

Thanks!

Mostly discussed on Dimensioning and Tolerancing lists/forums, there are occasional commenters there that swear they have gone entirely paperless, but few have any details. I suspect the majority are those with fully in-house manufacturing or those with captive external suppliers, like injection molders and their mold makers. In these cases the engineers know what variations they will get based on nominal sizes, and just work with them rather than establishing tolerances and trying to find suppliers.

As far as I know there is no way to output a 14.41 compliant model that can be read by just anyone - PTC to UG to SW to Inventor is not going happening. And with 14.41, no one can subcontract on price/performance alone. The closest I see now is IDA-STEP.

Within PTC software D&T is clumsy to apply and an engineering dead end for analysis. The CE-Tol to Ti-Tol to whatever PTC calls it now only analyzes what the user specifies and only if they buy the module.

What is needed on the engineering end is an integrated tool that complains on uncontrolled surfaces and automatically creates extreme-tolerance distorted models to show what the D&T scheme allows. Even that is problematic as, for example, H35.2 as applied to extrusions would not be a noticable oversight if a simple extrusion was compared to Y14.5. E.g. The thickness of a flange on an extruded angle, controlled by a size dimension has a much greater variability expected per H35.2 than Y14.5, but there is nothing in PTC software to note that difference. Additionally, users are deformation ignorant and will not re-specify flatness on a piece post-machining because 'it is already on the raw stock.' Per 14.5 the thickness value in part limits flatness, but the installation may tolerate even more than that and uneven removal of internal stresses can produce more than that.

This is interesting:

http://www.cax-if.org/vendor_info.php?file_id=4 PTC Support of STEP from "The CAx Implementor Forum (CAx-IF) is a group of software developers and testors working on Computer Aided Design (CAD) translators based on the ISO 10303 -- STandard for the Exchange of Product model data, STEP (visit this ISO site for more information on the STEP standard)."

Top Tags