cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Model going off screen when changing view orientation to Top or Bottom

rfranklin
3-Visitor

Model going off screen when changing view orientation to Top or Bottom

Creo 3.0, M120

When I am looking at a Creo 3.0 created part model that is oriented in any view except Top or Bottom and then go to either a Top or Bottom orientation the model rolls to the correct position but goes way off screen. I must hit Refit to bring it back in the screen. If I am looking at an assembly or even a part model that was originally created in Wildfire 5.0 the model stays on the screen, like it should, no matter which orientation I switch to. My View Manager Orientation Preferences is set to Model Center.

I appreciate any help,

Randy

8 REPLIES 8
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:rfranklin)

If all parts are created from the same start part and all of them are acting the same, then the start part definition of the top and bottom views are wrong. Start parts are company specifc, so other users within your company should have the same problem.

If it is only doing it in specific parts (not all new parts), then turn on your datums/points/coord sys and make sure your geometry is actually modeled with respect to the datums and not way out in space somewhere.

You can always just re-save your top and bottom views so they are correct to the part.

Thanks for the quick response. Our start parts are the ones that came with the Creo software, we just added what we needed to (just like we did when using Wildfire). Nothing was changed regarding view orientations. We just opened our start part and the views oriented correctly without going off of the screen, but this is just the planes and origin (nothing is modeled on our start part files). After we modeled a solid with the origin centered on the start part the problem reappeared. With nothing modeled it is fine, with something modeled it is wrong!

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:rfranklin)

Well, I just tried it with solid_start_part_inlbs.prt that was in the loadpoint\M130\Common Files\creo_standards\templates and I got the same odd behavior.

It doesn't happen with our internal start parts that were created many moons ago.

My suggestion is to not use the creo 3 start part. Either make a new one from an empty part or copy the one from your wildfire days.

Very odd problem. You could submit a support case if you wanted to know why it does that.

I attached the file I experimented with if anyone else wants to look at it. Top view flies off the screen when the extrude is present. Delete the extrude and top view seems correct.

Thanks for the response. I am glad to hear that we are not the only ones to experience this, your experience confirms it is probably a software bug. We are about to upgrade to 4.0, hopefully it has been fixed. If not, we may need to use an older Wildfire start part.

I opened this part and found the same behavior.  I selected the top view and it slid off screen.  However, I re-

centered the view (icon at the left end of the floating toolbar) and re-saved the top view.  Now, when selected, the top view is correct.

Creo saves both orientation and zoom when saving a view, it looks like the default  templates must have been saved without the view centered.  I imagine if you open the templates and recenter the offending views it'll fix it for new models.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:dgschaefer)

Oddly enough it didn't fix it.

This time I opened solid_start_part_mmks.prt (last time i tried on the inch part), then I checked the views, top, front, right and all of them centered on the datum planes. I then created a small extrude, 1 x 1 x 1. Then I checked the views again. Front and right were still centered correctly. TOP (and bottom) displayed the odd behavior of recentering, oddly about 200mm below the part. I resaved the view TOP and it works correctly... BUT, then I deleted the extrude, leaving only the planes. When I activate the TOP view, it now doesn't center on the datums, it centers where the part was, about 200mm below the datums.

It's very illogical behavior.

This might be nothing. But still, Is the model centered about the X, Y or Z planes or is it offset from the origin by a large amount? Did you check the status of the Spin Center (On or Off)?

Nithish

Thanks for your reply. It is centered about all 3 planes and it doesn't seem to matter if the spin center is on or off.

Top Tags