cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Model relation request of drawing parameter

athomasen
5-Regular Member

Model relation request of drawing parameter

How come this, in model relations, doesn't work?

MODEL_PARAMETER = DRAWING_PARAMETER:D

I would like to have a part parameter refering to a specific paramter of its active drawing.

Say for instance "PTC_WM_ITERATION"

So the part has information about its drawing iteration value

How to do?

4 REPLIES 4

Hi,

you can try the tree columns in the model tree navigator

and then choose the type "Database Params",and the select the PTM_WM_ITERATION to display in the model tree columns

but before the steps,you should ensure the parts is from your company windchill system

athomasen
5-Regular Member
(To:lworm)

Hi

Ok, but how to automatize this in model relation?

A Part does not belong to a single drawing, therefore, which drawing parameter would be assigned to the part parameter?  Imagine creating two drawings for the same part and those drawings are both in session (active).  Which would be used to populate the part parameter?  This is the reason we have component ID's in drawing mode.  Drawings can have multiple components associated to them simultaneously, thus we need component ID's to distinguish between them.

Drawings are children of parts (and assemblies).  I think that is why you can't do what you are asking.

I believe it is better practice for the drawing to know the version of the objects it depends on, rather than the objects be aware of the versions of the drawings they are part of. (I apologize for the poor grammar)

athomasen
5-Regular Member
(To:jeffreyrwalker)

Hi Jeff

Ok, I see. I think your right. Thanks a lot though

Top Tags