cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model to Help 5th Graders Understand PTC Coordinate System

Highlighted
Participant

Model to Help 5th Graders Understand PTC Coordinate System

I've made the following model with which I hope to explain the PTC coordinate system to 5th Graders.  I've succeeded only in confusing myself.  Maybe you can help.

CoordinateModel.png

The file is attached.  Created with Creo Parametric 3.0 M070 Academic.  I think this a right hand system as pictured,  I've extruded X+, X-. Y+, Y-, Z+ and Z-.  I want to extrude (20mm) FRONT+, FRONT-, TOP+, TOP-, RIGHT+ and RIGHT_ on the planes  I presume that FRONT+ is on the Y+ side of the FRONT plane.  Am I on the right track?

It seems to me that the default system in Creo Academic is a left handed system!!!

32 REPLIES 32

Re: Model to Help 5th Graders Understand PTC Coordinate System

The usual interpretation is that X is right, Z is up and Y is into the screen.

Right+ => X+,

Front+ => Y-

Top + => Z+

The names of the planes are arbitrary, but each coordinate system has labeled axes and Creo is entirely right-hand.

Hi,

in Creo you can:

• create empty part (no features)
  • create 3 default datum planes a give them requested names
  • create coordinate system and orient its axes using existing datum planes as references
  • save the model

Later you can use this part as template model.

MH

Martin Hanák

Specifically for the Front orientation , X+ is right and Z+ is up on the screen. At least I consider it that way because the screen is typically vertical.

Tentatively final models.  I think these are correct.  What do you think?CartesianXYZ+RightFrontTop.jpg

XYZcoordinates.png

Both are right handed???

Something is obviously screwed up with this model.  The engraved planes don't agree with the brown PTC plane lines. Gr.

Back to the drawing board.

Your red-geen-blue triad isn't aligned to your xyz directions.  ?  I usually think red = X, green = Y, blue  Z.  RGB = XYZ - is that mnemonic familiar?

Anyway, it's all rather arbitrary, but this is how my start-parts and the default datum planes are aligned:

xyz.png

Thomas Orme‌,

Take a look at these comments from previous discussions.  They should help you understand what Creo is doing and why.

Thanks for all the help and references.  I'm taking a new approach.  COLORS!  We will continue to gather information.  How will I print a multicolored model???

More work to do.

multicolor.png

You may be underestimating the intelligence level of your 5th graders.  You may also want try the tri-metric default view, instead of the more common isometric view.

Bob Schwerdlin