Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model to Help 5th Graders Understand PTC Coordinate System

Re: Model to Help 5th Graders Understand PTC Coordinate System

They certainly will not have any more difficulty than I am having.

Top-Bottom

Right-Left

Front-Back

Collected comments:

1.  I need to build a color coded model

multicolor.png

2. I need to assign colors correctly and place + and - signs on the gray axis ends.  I also need to color the circular end caps of the axes.

3. In order to build a model with a single color 3D printer I will have to make it as an assembly consisting of the following parts:

a.   2 slotted red cylinders with one end shaped to fit into center.

b.   2 slotted green cylinders with one end shaped to fit into center.

c.   2 slotted blue cylinders with one end shaped to fit into center.

d.   12 gray squares

4. In addition to Top, Right and Front labels for 2D surfaces I will use the labels Bottom, Left, and Back which I have not seen in Creo, but which make sense to use.

5. On each surface I will write the mnemonic "RGB=XYZ".

On my own I will have to figure out what is meant by "isometric" and "trimetric" and why isometric is the default.  This is obviously not the first time coordinates have been discussed, but has anyone made a model?   Many thanks for all the enlightening comments.

Isometric projection - Wikipedia

In a trimetric projection, unit vectors projected onto the view plane are different lengths. In technical publication one axis is vertical, one is 15 degrees counter clockwise above horizontal and the other is 30 degrees clockwise above the horizontal axis.

Hi,

if you have single color 3D printer, then I suggest you to print grey model and color it using brush and liquid colors .

MH

Martin Hanák

I can only print one color at a time, but I can change colors.  So far 've gotten to this as a part.  The plane part is easy.  I'm stuck with this part because I don't know how to remove material and how to put in a second 45 degree cut.  I'm working on it.  I think you can get the idea of where I'm going with this.  Only two parts are needed to make the model.

partiallyshaped dowel.png

Hi,

triangle.png

• triangular extrude adds material >>> redefine it to remove material
  • during redefinition edit feature section >>> section has to enclose the area you want to remove

MH

Martin Hanák

‌The way we were taught the general 3D coordinate system was to extend the 2D plane to 3D so the XY plane was the front view and the Z axis extended toward you. The 3D region of X+, Y+, and Z+ was considered to be in the same position as the 2D region of X+ and Y+ and viewed the same way with X+ to the right and Y+ to the left. This was then extended to explane rotations of the coordinate system that are commonly used in other areas. We commonly use the -XY plane as a front view.

I think I'm on the right track;

I want make twelve gray planes labeled

Front Y-

Right X+

Top Z+

Back Y+

Left X-

Bottom Z-

six blank plane

Two red dowels labeled

+

-

Two green dowels labeled

+

-

Two blue dowels labeled

+

-

With a single color printer all of these, I should be able to make these parts (when I have a 3D printer).  The planes will have 50mm x 50mm notches so they fit into the dowels.  Overall dimensions of the model are 10cm X 10cm X 10cm.

I'm stuck on the dowel problem.  I can't get rid of the four unwanted protrusions so I get a pointed squarish end..

dowellC161125.png

Two options come to mind if I understand the end you want to have, I'm assuming a pyramid. Create planes through the two surfaces of each triangular extrude and use solidify to remove the unwanted geometry. You could also create a blend that blends a square to a point. This is done by using two sections: 1) the square and 2) a point.

Here are images showing each option:

1) planes using solidify to remove

solidify.jpg

2) blend of square to point

Blend.jpg

Highlighted

I use this but claim no right or wrong in it's interpretation   By default, in the commercial version, that makes FRONT the X(pointing right)-Y(pointing up) plane with Z coming at you.