Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model to Help 5th Graders Understand PTC Coordinate System

Re: Model to Help 5th Graders Understand PTC Coordinate System

Your model suggests some new designs.  It lacks the XYZ indicators.  This can be easily corrected.  I suggest the following:

NewPart161126.jpg

NewpartB161126.png

If you want a color coded system you need three parts.  Then all surfaces and dowel ends must be labelled correctly.

Antonius Dirriwachter had the best reply of all.  Simple and easy to understand.

Bob Schwerdlin

Antonius Dirriwachter had the best response of all.  Simple and easy to understand.

Bob Schwerdlin

Thanks Bob.  You might look at something to clarify the difficulty understanding this process.

There are two standards that manage how you "unfold" a drawing.  The version I use is 3rd angle projection.

There is also a 1st angle projection.  This is a typical projection used by ISO.

Most drawings will have a small symbol on it to show how to interpret the views.

The concept is how the views fold out from the main view.

The question that you will inevitably hear is "...why is the left side of the car called right?"

My answer is "perspective"... and of course, that starts a much longer discussion.

I've always looked at this simply this way:

If you are using the default planes and csys, and you orient your model to "Top", you are looking directly at the TOP plane. If you want to look at the Left or Right, you are looking at the SIDE plane. If you want to look at the front or back, you are looking at the FRONT plane.

It may help to use the View Manager to orient your views and highlight the TOP/SIDE/FRONT planes.  I'm not sure if the setup at my company is out of the box, but it does list clearly which direction X/Y/Z is going (+ or -):

cone_default.JPGtop_cone.JPG

Many thanks!  Your jpg's show clearly a right hand system.  My focus now is to design a model students can actually make with a 3D printer (which we will get soon).  The candidates are given below.  The design of the center requires some thought.  I can make dowels with cone points, but I haven't been able to make points which will completely fill center.  I want to keep the suggested RGB = XYZ mnemonic.  Dowels in Model 1 can be color coded with a single color 3D printer and PLA spools of different colors..  As you go from 3D to sketch mode 2D the process is "almost" slow enough to see what is happening.

Model 1

cube.JPGcubeleft.JPG

dowelA.JPGdowelB.JPG

Alternatively,

Model 2

color.JPG

I still have to "square the cone."

I'm glad the jpgs helped!

If the cones are the issue, have you considered using stepped cylinders for the axes for your block assembly design (design 1)? You could add a hole in the middle for the crossing axes to pass thru and could also step the bores in the block so it can only be assembled one way.....you'd need various  sized cylinders, of course.

stepped_axis.JPG

Your 5th graders will have a nice puzzle in the end!

Debbie

Highlighted

This is latest design which attempts to incorporate all suggestions.  I can't call it complete until we get our 3D printer and make it.  Don't worry about the PTC RGB coordinates matching the intent of the part.  It's how you put the parts together that counts.

For model you need

1 center ball with six orthogonal holes - I gave up on the pyramid design and went with a cone.

6 labelled quarter planes

6 unlabeled planes

6 dowels with conical end and slots, 2 red + and -, 2 green + and -, 2 blue + and -

Front plane.png

dowel with cone and slots.png

center ball with six conical holes.png

Cheers, Tom

Looking at the Coordinates Cross-eyed.

If you look long enough at the "diamond" in the center high and low point it toggles back and forth as an optical illusion.  Note, however, that only one of the alternatives is a right hand system.  All PTC coordinates are right hand systems so make sure you are seeing the coordinates correctly.  Note also that positive Y is on the BACK side.PTC default coordinates.jpg

Hi, before you finalize anything, I think you should read these discussions:

Turned around with Coordinate System

Logic behind Sketch Orientation?

Specifically, the point about avoiding naming your "default" planes as "Front", "Right", "Top"...

For example, the "usual" way to model a cube would be to start sketching by selecting Top plane; system will align the sketch such that x+ points to the right and y+ points up.  You then draw a square with its lower left vertex on the origin.  You would then extrude this square, let say in the +ve Z direction.

So you end up with a cube, but the next person that looks at your model would perhaps be confused because:
a) the datum plane called "Top" is on the bottom of the model?

b) the datum plane called "Right" is on the left side of the model?

Perhaps, since you have a chance to define the convention, it would be better to call the default planes "XZ" instead of "Front", "XY" instead of "Top" and "YZ" instead of "Right".