Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ModelManager Settings occaisionally get lost

Highlighted
Visitor

ModelManager Settings occaisionally get lost

Any experience with the follolwing:

Sometimes a user starts Modelmanager and all the ModelManager user settings, colum layouts, username, xml name etc are gone at sratrtuo and reset to the default when starting ModelManager for the first time.

We found out that this behaviour is caused by an empty wmproperties.lst file in de user profile.

As a solution we ecxcluded the visrus scanner on access scanner for this file. But the problem still occurs, however less frequently.

Any other possible causes?

Thanks,

Harman

15 REPLIES 15

Re: ModelManager Settings occaisionally get lost

Hello all

We have also experienced this problem, Does anyone at PTC have any idea of the cause of the problem?

Pedro

The virus scanner is still a "hot" candidate for locking the file and/or the directory

Please try excluding the complete directory containing the wmproperties.lst from virus scanning

Would also be interesting from the community:

- Which Virus Scanner is used?

- Has anyone a repeatable sequence?

- How frequently (approx) do you run into the problem?

Thanks,

Max

Hi Max,

This happens to me also, but I haven't been able to pinpoint an exact cause.The most recent occurence was about two weeks ago. I discovered your post and proceeded to set the exclustion in anti-virus settings as reccommended. Symantec Endpoint Protection is what is in use here.

Unfortunately that did not help, as I just lost my settings in Model Manager and Drawing Manager again.

I have been workng on a large model today and was getting ready to work on another. I decided to exit out of both Creo Direct Modeling and Drafting to regain some memory. That's the only way I know of that Creo releases the memory after deleting the model. When starting Creo w/ Modele Manager and Drafting w/Drawing Manager again, the column settings I had previously used were gone.

I'll leave the exclusion set in anti-virus for now and will report back here the next time this happens and see if the sequence matches.

Mike

the gremlins were busy last night. When I started Creo Direct today Model Manager & Drawing Manager both started on the Welcom screen and all my column settings on the Search tab were gone.

Mike

Hi Guys,

I don't have an answer yet but want to share the "trend" of my observations

- Virus scanner: not very likely

- likely: concurrent access to the wmproperties.lst by 2 or more Model Manager(s) or Drawing Managers, e.g. one client is starting up (or shutting down) while the other client is changing

a setting or a window layout (size, columns) etc - just everything which causes the wmproperties.lst to be written.

Feedback welcome!

Concurrent access may not be the source. I get the same problem with one Manager running.

I anybody can demonstrate/reproduce, I will be happy to investigate.

Even when you are not under support.

I will do this for the benefit of the users who *are* under support,

so that we finally get a fix for this nasty problem.

Is that possible that the personal settings can be overwritten by the administartor, or by an update of Manager as we have from time to time?

We’ve sporadically the same problem. Unfortunately there’s no way to reproduce this.

One idea at the moment: Is it the way we close ModelManager? 

I close Modeling by clicking the “X” in the right corner, normally.  Perhaps we need to finish ModelManager first by deactivate the Module (Application – Modules) and then close Modeling?