cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Modeling Flexible Printed Circuits

rpreliasco
5-Regular Member

Modeling Flexible Printed Circuits

So what is the PTC way to model a FPC in 3D and then create a flat pattern ? The sheet metal application?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
Constantin
13-Aquamarine
(To:rpreliasco)

Hi Richard,
I do not think that there is the one "PTC" approach for this but various possibilities...

- sheetmetal as you say

- Warp

- spinal bend

- offset coord sys

... all this combined with flexibility...

It now really depends on what exactly you want to do

rpreliasco
5-Regular Member
(To:Constantin)

Here's one of our more complex ones. The width is about a centimeter.

FPC.jpg

Hi Richard...

I believe Flex Circuits is one of the things we're working on for Creo Cabling for Creo 3.0!

Right now you can certainly use the sheetmetal method. You might also get some limited use from ribbon cables in Creo Cabling (although the hard 90 degree bends will be problematic). Constantin is correct to say right now you've got several options. None of them are the PTC "best practice" for creating a flex circuit.

You'll likely have to use a variety of techniques until we have a dedicated tool. The ones Constantin noted in his message are all good candidates. If I were doing this, I'd probably try to stick with sheet metal using sweeps for some of the larger bends and loops. Sheet metal can be finicky on the unbending, though. This is another area where Creo 2/3 will shine... better unbending tools in sheetmetal.

If you have any specific questions on any of the techniques Constantin suggested... or if you just get stuck with a sheet metal issue, write back and let us know. I'm sure we can help you through it.

Thanks!

-Brian

Top Tags